Comments on WSN Documentation?

crazyharry
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 5
Posted Aug 30, 2005 - 2:05 PM:

hi there,

is there any documentaion about the keywords for repeating categories, links etc.? i'm missing a complete list of these keywords and a guide HOW TO modfiy the templates.

i tried to group categoryies with 'category types' on the main page. didn't work, because i didnt find any information about how to use the category types within my custom templates. i guess, there is some magic with the WSN-specific comments like '<!--- BEGIN REGULAR...' i dont know... :-)

thanks in advance,
crazyharry

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Aug 30, 2005 - 10:01 PM:

What does "keywords for repeating categories" mean?

Maybe you mean category template variables. See the template variables lists under the templates category of the manual.

Category types wouldn't apply in custom templates unless the custom templates are overlayed onto a page where category types apply (such as the index or category list page).
crazyharry
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 5
Posted Aug 31, 2005 - 7:50 AM:

hi paul,
i didn't mean the 'category template variables' i found in the manual.

i'm missing information about the remarks for repeating the HTML-Code for each category, link etc. i found the following remarks in PHP source code:

<!-- BEGIN CATSBODY -->', '<!-- END CATSBODY -->
<!-- BEGIN REGULAR -->', '<!-- END REGULAR -->
<!-- BEGIN RELATED -->', '<!-- END RELATED -->
<!-- BEGIN SUBCATEGORIES -->', '<!-- END SUBCATEGORIES -->
<!-- BEGIN SUBSUB -->', '<!-- END SUBSUB -->

i guess, there are more but i didn't reall PHP files...

i didn't find any infos about how the parser works and how can i customize the behaviour of the HTML code generations.

my problem is, that my customer want to following page layout:

page layout structure:
----------------------
1) top categories = WSN: category type: REGULAR
(with some subcats)
----------------------
2) some other content = external content
(e.g. news)
----------------------
3) newest links = WSN: newsest links
----------------------
4) categories 1 = WSN: category type: SPECIAL_1 (e.g. sponsors)
----------------------
5) categories 2 = WSN: category type: SPECIAL_2 (e.g. sponsors)
----------------------
5) related categories = WSN: related categories
----------------------

my steps i did:
a) for developing i have 3 category types (REGULAR, SPECIAL_1, SPECIAL_2) with some cats and links. all done with the admin tool.

b) i copied the original 'main.tpl' to my 'templates\multilingual\custom' directory. the copied file i customizeed to realize to required structure.

c) as is saw, there is no way to have more than one <!-- BEGIN CATSBODY --> sections onto a page. my idea was to have a CATSBODY section for each category type. and each CATSBODY section should have a different layout.

this doesn't work. only the first CATSBODY section will be parsed correctly...

d) next problem with the following code:

<!-- BEGIN CATSBODY -->
<!-- BEGIN REGULAR -->
some HTML code for cats
<!-- BEGIN SUBSUB -->
some HTML code for subcats
<!-- END SUBSUB -->
<!-- END REGULAR -->
<!-- END CATSBODY -->

as i understand 'BEGIN CATSBODY' selects the category type REGULAR. so only REGULAR categories should be displyed. but: ALL categories will be displyed!
i have no change to avoid displaying the categories SPECIAL_1, SPECIAL_2.

is this a feature or a bug?

i have a lot of other strange problems more, but i dont want to upset you :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
this is the backgroud of yesterday's question. there is no documentation about how the template engine works, how to realize complex layouts, how to use the category types. i read the whole manual but i didn't find any examples about that.

Q: paul, is it possible to realize the layout structure showen above with WSN?
Q: if yes, how can i be done?
Q: if yes, do you have any examples about using different layouts for different category types?
Q: how does the template engine works? what's possible and what's not?

thanks in advance,
crazyharry :-(frustrated)

PS; the manual pages are outdated. most of the pages are written in 2003. i guess, there is much more to know about the newer versions...
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Sep 01, 2005 - 11:35 PM:

The control structures that use html comments are unique to individual pages, excepting a few things covered elsewhere like toplists, and I don't see anything about them to document other than the manual entry that says to not remove them.

as i understand 'BEGIN CATSBODY' selects the category type REGULAR

No, <!-- BEGIN REGULAR --> selects regular. That's documented under 'category types'.

I believe if you don't specify HTML for a category type it might default to the regular type. If you want it blank you'd have to specify it, but just as a blank space.

there is no documentation about how the template engine works,

Again, I don't see how there's anything to say. Specific structures like category types and link types have their own openings and closings that are covered under their entries. The structures in general are just there and pretty self-explanatory as meaning that the content within them is repeated for some purpose or another.

There are also entries describing template conditionals (and noting the ability to use PHP), which are the complicated parts of templates.

Q: if yes, do you have any examples about using different layouts for different category types?

I've seen some, but I don't have a list of user sites so I have no idea where I'd find them.

I'm not quite sure what you mean anyway. All the types have to be contained in the categories opening and closing comments, which limits your ability to separate the types very far from each other on the page (been meaning to change that). If you need to have them in very different locations you should probably use a toplist to display each type instead.

most of the pages are written in 2003.

Most have been edited since then to note changes, but I do come across outdated bits from time to time. Mostly I update the manual based on whatever comes up on the forums.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.