Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

TulipChain says: Nothing to report!

Comments on TulipChain says: Nothing to report!

capitaine
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 272
Posted Aug 06, 2005 - 11:36 AM:

I ran TulipChain but its not working.... this is what I got:

[EDIT] Regional: Africa: Tanzania: Travel_and_Tourism: Travel_Services: Tour_Operators: Safaris

* Nothing to report!

Totals Listed Unreviewed Total
Unchecked 32 0 32
OK 0 0 0
Need Slash 0 0 0
Warning 0 0 0
Connection Error 0 0 0
Error 0 0 0
Total 32 0 32

Generated by TulipChain v6.03 on 06 August 2005 17:26

Now I don't understand why: in Tulip, its clearly showing me all the links, but when I spider it and generate a report, I get the above! I understand its a third-party app, but I'm hoping you'll have some clues here... I also sent an email to the Tulip author...

And another thing: in Tulip it appears as if it will only attempt to grab the very lowest-level links, ie in the example above you have to go all the way down to Safaris to grab the links - it doesn't seem possible to grab everything under, for example, Travel_and_Tourism (i.e. all sub-cats and their links)?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Aug 07, 2005 - 5:42 PM:

"Nothing to report" usually means you didn't spider before making a report -- or tried to spider something too big.

As explained in various places on wsnlinks.com, tulipchain won't handle anything with more than around 1000 links beneth it. The number of levels of subcategories below is irrelivent, only the number of links.
capitaine
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 13, 2005 - 6:29 AM:

I am doing it correctly.... as you'll see from what I pasted above, there are only 32 links in that category

What seems to be happening is that when you spider, in the status bar of TulipChain it goes to 'Done' quite quickly... I can't see how it can have spidered a whole bunch of sites in a matter of seconds... so it looks like perhaps Tulip doesn't work anymore?

Since I've already bought the dmozimporter script, do you know of an alternative software that will do exactly what Tulip is supposed to do?

Has anybody else currently had any success with running Tulip? For what its worth, because the software is in a .rar file, I have to run the programme from a command line using 'java -jar tulip.jar'.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Aug 14, 2005 - 6:14 AM:

If you were doing it correctly, obviously, you would have a report file. Since you don't, you say, then you're saying you aren't doing it correctly.

Any alternative software would use its own distinct format, which would render it useless.

I've had a great deal of sucess with Tulip, having assembled a sizeable collection of spidered categorioes and done imports on request for numerous users.

Note that you're using 6.03 while I've specified 6.02 is the only version I support, not that it's likely to make any difference.

because the software is in a .rar file

.rar file? What I've directly linked on the instructions page is a .jar download.

Here's a report file for you as an example:

Attached Files:
capitaine
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 14, 2005 - 7:50 AM:

yes sorry its a .jar file, but WinRAR opens it if you just double-click it, so I have to go the command-prompt route. I am doing it correctly - as I outline above - but I d'loaded 6.0.2 and its the same issue.... it doesn't seem to spider. I have a Win XP SP2 machine, with Java Runtime 1.4.1_01

I'd like to know if other users here have got this to work recently....?
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.