Comments on suggest events

chris

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 13
Total Comments: 43
chris
Posted Jun 05, 2008 - 3:40 PM:

Hi,

I would like to give people the possibility to enter events with start-dates and end-dates (and times) - see screenshot enclosed. I guess I should just add fields like

- eventstartdate
- eventenddate
- eventstarthour
- eventstartminute
- eventendhour
- eventendminute

What about the "mysql field types"? And what about the expiration-date? Actually the events could be hard-deleted automatically one day after "eventenddate" (eventenddate+1).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Chris

Attached Files:
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jun 07, 2008 - 2:49 PM:

Can't be done like that right now. Moved to feature suggestions. Since so few people use the calendar, it's going to be a low priority unless someone wants it as a custom project.
chris

chris
Posted Jun 08, 2008 - 4:21 PM:

What do you mean with so "few people use the calendar"? Is there alreday a calendar-function? Where?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jun 08, 2008 - 11:00 PM:

I presumed you were talking about changing the way events are entered to be more user friendly, and were thus looking at the calendar. If you've switched on "calendar" in your switches then you can see "calendar" in the top right navigation bar on the user side. Click a day to add an event to it.
chris

chris
Posted Jun 09, 2008 - 2:23 AM:

Hi, that's not bad, but not exactly what I was looking for because it's not really integrated in the link-directory, - so not searchable. What I ment was actually quite simple (I hope): Lets say we have a directory with different regions as categories and cities as sub-categories. In each city, members can suggest "normal" links (like hotels, restaurants, clubs, whatever) and events. I thought of creating two linktypes with two different submit-forms. My question from the first post was if the way I wanted to realize the event-submit-form is the most practicable way. The events would be searchable then, I could create a TOP-5-list of events and I would just have to find a solution how to make them searchable for dates, right?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jun 10, 2008 - 10:58 PM:

"Just" is putting it a bit lightly. First it'd need an afteraddition plugin to convert the date text into a timestamp. Then it'd need a pseudomethod to allow displaying the dates at display locations and on the edit link page. Then it'd need a new plugin option created to allow converting text dates on the edit link page back into timestamps. Then it'd need a retrofit of the search system to create a syntax for date searching.

This is something I would only do as a paid project. Estimate is 5-10 hours ($250-$500).
chris

chris
Posted Jun 11, 2008 - 12:19 PM:

I see - so it's "just" more difficult than I thought :-)
Unfortunatly my programmer is occupied with other projects, so I will collect all the changes/modifications I need and you can make an offer with everything included later. Probably better than do it piece by piece, isn't it? One general question about this kind of modifications: Will it still be possible to update the script in the future?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jun 13, 2008 - 1:11 AM:

When I do a modification I always make it upgradeable. If somebody else does it then something of this compexity, which can't be put in a plugin/modifications file as it stands today, wouldn't be easily upgradeable.
chris

chris
Posted Jun 13, 2008 - 1:28 AM:

OK, I had a closer look at the existing caleandar feature and actually it's better than I thought. I can add fields, so that I can also add the city and place where the event takes place - but there are some general issues that I don't understand/don't seem to work right:

- {EVENTSTARTDATE} gives me the date AND time as output (format 06/14/08 - 00:00:00)
------------------------------
- same for {EVENTENDDATE}
- in the admin menue under SETTINGS --> GENERAL --> REQUIRED FIELDS I have DATE selected as a required field.
But in this case it's not possible to enter an event it always says "You did not complete all of the required fields" - why is this? A date is selected by default anyway?
- If I go to CALENDAR and click on a date it shows:

wsnlinks » Calendar » 06/14/08
Events scheduled for 06/15/08:

There is always a difference of 1 day.
- Where can I change the date-format for events - I can't find an option in the admin menue.
- If I EDIT an event - I can delete the content of required fields and save it - that shouldn't be like that, right?
- Where can I find and edit events in the admin menue? I can find LINKS, MEMBERS and COMMENTS - I think adding a search function for events on the same page does make sense not only to me but to everybody using WSNlinks, no?
- Same for the user frontend - you can search for Links, members, etc. but not for events. I think searching events should be part of the basic functions.

Correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above. Paul, this is no criticism. You have a great script! Only while working with it I see that there are some little things to improve smiling face

Have a nice day,
Chris
Paul
developer

Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 14, 2008 - 3:43 PM:

All date formats can be customized in the template: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...stom-date-formats-323.html

Date isn't a user field, it's backend stuff which is calculated to separate all-day events from partial-day events, so you should never require it.

Tell me your server timezone offset, personal profile timezone and (if different) the timezone you submitted the event under.

Noted your suggestions.

Will check on event editing.
chris

chris
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 14, 2008 - 4:58 PM:

Paul wrote:

Tell me your server timezone offset, personal profile timezone and (if different) the timezone you submitted the event under.

I risk to sound stupid but how do I find out? All I know is the default time zone I set in admin panel's system configuration: GMT+2
Paul
developer

Paul
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 15, 2008 - 2:12 PM:

Timezone offset is at Admin -> Settings -> System, and is not the same as the default timezone. For example, I have "-8" as that value. Make sure your value reflects the actual difference between GMT and the time your web server uses (typically the timezone of your host's data center). Your personal timezone is on your member edit profile page. If you submit as a guest, the default timezone from Settings -> System is used.
chris

chris
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 16, 2008 - 7:00 AM:

Sorry, I looked for 20 minutes but I can't find the option timezone offset at Admin -> Settings -> System. There is only a select box for default time zone near the end of the page. I have to find out my host's time zone somehow. But I'm still confused. As all my members will be from Belgium I will delete this option to edit the time-zone from their edit-page. But how can I set GMT+1 as a registration default. I can't find the option in the admin panel. And how to handle daylight saving time (now GMT+2 here)? Anyway, that's not a high priority issue I guess ;-)
Paul
developer

Paul
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 17, 2008 - 7:04 PM:

"Hours difference between server time and GMT": http://www.webmastersite.net/screenshots/26355.jpg

The registration defaults page is in the "members" section. Seems it doesn't have timezone, so I presume it uses the guest default. Will add a timezone option for member defaults.
chris

chris
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 18, 2008 - 1:05 AM:

Like I said: I don't have this option (see enclosed Screenshot) (WSN Links 4.2.0 Alpha 13 problem???)

EDIT: I just realize that there are also some other options missing (FTP, CHMOD)

Attached Files:
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.