Comments on SEO Rewrite Category Urls with comma's

tradenet
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 54
Total Comments: 127
Posted Jan 13, 2010 - 9:37 AM:

e.g. Category: Farms, Dairies, Ranches & Wineries
is being rewritten as the category number NOT as for example ~/links/farms-dairies-ranches-and-wineries-

And any subcategories thereunder are all out putted as category numbers.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jan 14, 2010 - 4:39 AM:

Both end up numeric for me (which is how it should be). In fact, both are numeric on your website everywhere I can find. The link to the category you described is http://www.kangnido.com/3/ everywhere I can find on your site. Where does it use the non-numeric URL?
tradenet
Forum Regular

Posted Jan 15, 2010 - 9:49 AM:

Well, what I should be asking is that "working as intended" for categories with commas?

Because if I go here ie. Computers & Telecommunications I get:
www.kangnido.com/computers-...s-and-telecommunications-/

Which is not a numeric representation.

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jan 16, 2010 - 8:14 AM:

"Computers & Telecommunications" doesn't have any commas, so it's not numeric, nor should it be -- and it works fine.

Commas make it numeric (unless you set your preferred URL when submitting/editing the category). Ampersands rewrite as "and", not numeric. Spaces rewrite as hyphens, not numeric. Any other special characters rewrite as numeric.

Aside: you're getting extra hyphens at the end of some of your URLs (like that example) because you have useless spaces at the end of those category names.
tradenet
Forum Regular

Posted Jan 16, 2010 - 9:52 AM:

Commas make it numeric (unless you set your preferred URL when submitting/editing the category).

So subcategories are treated the same way as the parent regardless of whether they have commas or not? Seems that way. ie. if the parent or top category has commas then everything else under it is numeric.

Aside: you're getting extra hyphens at the end of some of your URLs (like that example) because you have useless spaces at the end of those category names.

Yeah. I imported those from another db and a space must of come along with it.

Got a quick and dirty way of cleaning those up?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jan 18, 2010 - 2:20 AM:

It all depends on your rewrite scheme. If your rewrite scheme uses the category name that involves the comma for the applicable category, then it's numeric. The default rewrite scheme uses the full path with all the parents so it affects subcategories.

Removing all trailing spaces would require writing a script to reparse the database. It'd probably take me half an hour so I'd charge $25 for it.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.