Comments on Pre-upgrade questions

idamay
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 4
Total Comments: 5
idamay
Posted Nov 27, 2009 - 4:03 PM:

I was wondering if I can copy my current working site to another folder and upgrade that folder. Once the upgrade is a success I'll delete the old and switch to the new. I was wondering if the old site can function while I work on the new site.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Nov 29, 2009 - 9:22 PM:

That's what the clone utility is for -- it makes that copy process one click -- but it wasn't added until the 5.0 series. For 4.1, to do it manually you'll need to:
1) Copy the database -- either as a whole to a new database, or if you only have one db you can use a text editor to change the table prefixes after downloading a backup.
2) Copy all the files to a new directory.
3) Open config.php in the new directory and update the database, url and file path values to the new directory values.

Then run the upgrade on the new copy.

Changing the location of the new directory to replace the old is as easy as a directory rename in the 5.1 series. If you only upgrade to the 5.0 series, you'll need to edit config.php to update the url and file paths when you move it.

If you have a special cookie path at Admin -> Settings -> System Configuration, you'll need to make sure that's not set to something that'll prevent a cookie from working at the new location.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.