password and other email not received
email to admin not being received

Comments on password and other email not received

paperlion

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 6
Total Comments: 13
Posted May 25, 2005 - 11:20 AM:

Had a password problem which I was able to work around through phpmyadmin. However, requesting the password through the login screen didn't generate any actual email. The confirm screen says that an email was sent. A test email to the admin, from the admin panel was also sent and not (yet?) received, now about 2 hours later.

Other emails to this address (generated by other programs) do work. I checked the address in the DB at members > email and it looks fine.

Not sure what the IP field is for though. The hosting servers were changed recently. Would this have anything to do with this?

Thanks.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted May 25, 2005 - 10:19 PM:

If the email queue is on, most emails don't send until somebody browses the index.php of the site... but I believe the lost password is exempted from that and sent immediately.

In your admin panel, does it show anything in the email log?

paperlion wrote:
The hosting servers were changed recently. Would this have anything to do with this?

Well, it could if php's mail function isn't working on the server at all.
paperlion

Posted May 25, 2005 - 10:49 PM:

This is my second attempt to reply.

Email log is empty.

Is there a quick test for php mail function? A cPanel utility perhaps (or hack)?

Paul, thanks.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted May 26, 2005 - 10:40 PM:

<?php mail("you@yourdomain.com", "Test", "Mail works", "From: you@yourdomain.com"); ?>

Change that to use your own actual email address, save it as mailtest.php, upload, and visit it in your browser. If you don't get an email from it, then point your host at that test.
paperlion

Posted May 26, 2005 - 11:04 PM:

Eureka, er.. that's funny. It worked. I don't know how I setup the program without specifying an email address for the admin, but there was nothing in the database when I looked for it. I think the admin panel didn't show the address even after I entered it using phpmyadmin. This would explain why I never got the password via email. I can live with that - otherwise, I wouldn't know what to make of it.

thanks
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.