"Panic" restore blew away my settings

Comments on "Panic" restore blew away my settings

nelgin

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 39
Total Comments: 100
nelgin
Posted Sep 02, 2005 - 1:30 AM:

Partly my fault. I forgot to backup my database after converting from 3.02 to 3.24. I was getting some odd stuff so I thought I'd go ahead and reset everything.

Well, now I query wsnlinks_settings and it is empty.

I am in need of a manual way to repopulate the settings table.

Regards
Nigel
nelgin

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 39
Total Comments: 100
nelgin
Posted Sep 02, 2005 - 2:33 AM:

Nevermind, I got the queries out of the setup.sql file and inserted them manually, replacing where necessary.

The reason it happened was because I removed the setup.* files. I don't like to keep setup files on my system since they can be abused. It might be a good idea to make a note that setup.sql should NOT be deleted. I didn't see it noted anywhere in the docs, and if it was, it wasn't clear.

Regards
Nigel
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Sep 03, 2005 - 5:51 AM:

I can't make a manual entry saying "don't delete index.php, don't delete comments.php, don't delete [list of every file]"... it'd be confusing and a little absurd.

It is impossible to run setup without knowing the database info, as you can see for yourself (try this forum's https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/setup.php ). If somebody knows your database info, well, you have worse problems than them running setup.

If I were to rate potential security issues, setup.php would be at the bottom. config.php would be at the top as if it's inside your web root it can give away your database info if your server's apache install has a certain kind of problem when it's being altered or upgraded and the like and something goes wrong (hence the manual entry on avoiding that potential issue).
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.