david
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 91
Total Comments: 305
david
Posted Jul 24, 2005 - 12:39 AM:

Hello,

I have an online documentation that I would need a NEXT and PREVIOUS button for, in the link details (comments.php) page. I have an extra field for each link (for internal tracking) that is their chapter number. This is a number, such as 01,02,03...11,12,13 etc.

Since I called the field CHAPTER, is there such a thing like {NEXTCHAPTER} and {PREVIOUSCHAPTER} that I could create, which would know the next incrementing number in that field?

OR

Something like {PREVIOUSCHAPTER+1} or something along those lines? Something to tell an A HREF that the link is to point to the link that is THISLINKCHAPTER+1 ? In this case, how would it know that after 09, comes 10 and not 010?

OR any other trick that I missed when reading the manual?

THanks
David
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jul 24, 2005 - 12:39 PM:

Except for your leading 0s, <?php echo {LINKCHAPTER} + 1; ?> would work. You'll have to figure out how to detect the ending though.
david
Forum Regular

david
Posted Jul 24, 2005 - 12:44 PM:

That's perfect. That's what I needed. I can use that. smiling face

Thx again Paul.
david
Forum Regular

david
Posted Jul 24, 2005 - 1:09 PM:

Hmmm... maybe not.

Ok, so I can figure out what is the next chapter, but I cannot use that in a URL, since the URL is off of the ID of the link. Is there anything like 'GET ID of link in current category WHERE LINKCHAPTER + 1' ? Or something like that?

I mean, besides literally placing the links into the database in the correct order, there is no way to create such NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons? Anybody?

Thanks
David
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jul 24, 2005 - 7:05 PM:

You're talking about adding a noticable load to pages there, and it's basically a custom project anyway. And I don't see what the purpose of your 'chapter' is when it wouldn't specify what book it's a chapter of. Sounds like you're trying to create a linked list really, so it should contain a pointer to the next link, but that's a whole different script of sorts and I don't see why it wouldn't make a lot more sense to put all chapters of the same book under one subcategory (or even all under one link).
david
Forum Regular

david
Posted Jul 24, 2005 - 7:29 PM:

K. sad

In that case, is there something like {LINKLISTOFTHISSUBCATEGORY} or something that would list the title of the links within a subcategory.

Let me explain what I am trying to do here.

I have a series of online manuals. I placed the different books in categories. Then I placed the Main chapters under them as sub-categories. Then I placed links into each of these subcategories for the actual pages (subchapters if you will). Since this is a book, the pages must come in sequential order. This is not possible to achieve, because the natural sorting seems to be 1,10,11,12,2,3,4.... . That is wrong in the case of this book, since it has to be 8,9,10,11... .

So I created an extra link field, called chapter. This is a hidden field that I use only for the sorting on display. See, this way I can assign a 01,02,03... to the pages, and therefore they appear in normal order.

Anyways, what the problem is, is that when you are viewing the details of a link (reading the page), I would need something that can go to the next and previous link (page). What you suggest would still not solve my problem.

So, in this case, is there a way to display the title of the links that reside in the same subcategory? Sort of like a top list for the current subcategory.

Thanks
David
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 1:03 AM:

In that case, is there something like {LINKLISTOFTHISSUBCATEGORY} or something that would list the title of the links within a subcategory.

That would be a fairly simple toplist, I'd think. Just a condition catid={LINKCATID} if being used on comments/details page.

This is not possible to achieve, because the natural sorting seems to be 1,10,11,12,2,3,4

That means you created the field as a text field. If you'd created it as an integer, or you simply go into phpmyadmin now and make an integer, it would sort like integers do.
david
Forum Regular

david
Posted Jul 26, 2005 - 1:33 AM:

Can I say, DUH! You know, I have thought about that, but no idea why I didn't use integers for this problem
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.