Comments on HINT : Disappearing Categories

zippo
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Apr 22, 2006 - 10:24 AM:

Updates to the WSN Forum script not being as frequent as WSN Links I have repeatedly forgot this..

After an upgrade if you find that your forum categories revert to one "Test Category" the data is NOT in the SQL, but rather in the language file. smiling face

Look for:

, categorytypes, (Category Names Marker in .LNG file)

Format: , categorytypes, DIVIDER, Cat Name 1,Cat Name 2,ETC,

, categorydescriptions, (Category Desc. Marker in .LNG file)

Format: , categorydescriptions, DIVIDER, Cat 1 Desc,Cat 2 Desc,ETC,

..in default.lng (and/or your other language files if used).

Each time I've updated the script I forget about the few things in the language files that I don't want to overwrite!

I've had once or twice had categories disappear, unrelated to upgrading -- this is NOT really about that aside from reminding us that the data for categories is in the language file(s).
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Apr 23, 2006 - 3:07 AM:

Just don't overwrite your language with the default... though I make that mistake all the time upgrading my forums, for unknown reasons. I guess it somehow feels fresher to overwrite language instead of upgrade.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Apr 23, 2006 - 2:59 PM:

I forget if I ran upgrade or not.. Per the readme.txt though, upgrade.php wasn't in the 1.3.0 quick upgrade instructions. Seems that you've written upgrade.php to do only what is required, so I guess there is no harm (or benefit?) from running it when not specifically instructed. I think that I ran upgrade.php just for the heck of it.

Do you mean to say that upgrade.php will modify older .LNG files to be the latest, keeping existing .LNG file modifications in place? I never considered that since the 'overwrite all except..' mostly targets the templates.

In any event I regressed back to 1.3.0 from a backup, in a panic move before I rediscovered the category data was in the .LNG file. wink
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Apr 23, 2006 - 5:59 PM:

Do you mean to say that upgrade.php will modify older .LNG files to be the latest, keeping existing .LNG file modifications in place?

That's what upgrades are for, naturally. Wouldn't be much of an upgrade if it made multilingual users and the like retranslate the whole thing.

If the upgrade instructions don't say to do something (and they never say to overwrite a language, only languages/setup is overwritten), don't do it.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Apr 24, 2006 - 2:12 PM:

Makes sense..

I hate to beat this to death, but then it is safe to conclude that if upgrade instructions (as in the 1.3.0 to 1.3.2) does not say to run upgrade.php then there are no .lng file changes.. and perhaps (?) running upgrade.php when not instructed so is a bad thing, with respect to .lng files?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:32 AM:

Running upgrade.php is never a bad thing, only a pointless thing.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.