Custom Wrappers

Comments on Custom Wrappers

tradenet
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 54
Total Comments: 127
Posted Jan 02, 2005 - 3:54 PM:

I'm trying to generate or create custom wrappers for each category.
However, the main index page wants to take on the appearance of my first category custom wrapper.
ie. the main page doesn't use the default wrapper but wants to use custom-category1_wrapper.tpl

My impression was that each category could have it's own unique wrapper and or template and the index or main would use the default wrapper/template. This is not the case the main page uses category 1 or the first categories custom wrapper and doesn't use the default. However all the other categories use their own custom-wrapper templates independantly no problem. Bug perhaps?

BTW, I'm using latest version 3.13
Apache/2.0.52 (Gentoo/Linux) PHP/4.3.10
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jan 03, 2005 - 1:53 AM:

Well, it's not happening on this forum. The WSN Links forum has a custom wrapper but the main index uses the regular wrapper.

What about other pages of your site, like the member list or the like? What do they use?
tradenet
Forum Regular

Posted Jan 03, 2005 - 8:22 AM:

I just starting to design the new site so I haven't got that far.
The problem arises with the first category...and it's alphabetical. ie.
If I call category 2 (in the description) "A Category" then it show's as the main or index wrapper. So the "default" wrapper is ignored by the main index completely. However, if I edit an remove the custom wrapper of "A Category" in the admin panel it reverts to the default wrapper. All the categories work a expected ie. with their designated individual custom wrappers.

The other thing it is my understanding that ALL custom templates reside or should reside in the ~/custom directory of the particular template theme or rather in ~/links/templates/mythemetemplate/custom/
However, if I design a template for category1 eg. custom-cat1displaylinks.tpl (actually it's called "cat1displaylinks.tpl" and residing in ~/custom, calling the template from the admin panel for the category)
WSN links looks for it in the directory ~/links/templates/mythemetemplate rather than the "custom" directory. Is that how it's supposed to work?

BTW, I haven't done any mods this is a fresh install and I'm just trying to figure out how the custom templating works. So currently I'm just using the default templates and renaming them etc. I've created only four categories...so it's very simple at this point.
tradenet
Forum Regular

Posted Jan 03, 2005 - 5:47 PM:

Seems that the reply counter isn't working here.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jan 03, 2005 - 7:00 PM:

Duplicated. In index.php, replace // final
if ($settings->catcols != 0) $template_catsbody .= '';
} with // final
if ($settings->catcols != 0) $template_catsbody .= '';
}
$thiscategory = ''; to fix.

WSN links looks for it in the directory ~/links/templates/mythemetemplate rather than the "custom" directory.

Yes. Normally you'd put your custom templates in /custom/ but you can use any template as a custom template regardless of where it is.

In what way isn't it working?
tradenet
Forum Regular

Posted Jan 04, 2005 - 8:39 AM:

Paul wrote:

Yes. Normally you'd put your custom templates in /custom/ but you can use any template as a custom template regardless of where it is.

The question is if you prepend the file/template with "custom-" will Links ALWAYS look in /custom/ ? It doesn't if you enter it in the admin panel for the category "custom template" entry however, you need to do that for the "custom wrapper" entry. ie. custom-wrappercategory1.tpl otherwise Links won't find it. Which is a little confusing.

Paul wrote:

In what way isn't it working?

Oops my fault. Didn't count correctly
BTW, thanks for all the fixes. Haven't tried them yet but I will.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.