Comments on chmod errors on upgrade

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Aug 01, 2008 - 4:37 AM:

Your upgrade errors appear very similar to ones I had (www.webmastersite.net/forum...0-pre-releases-8112-3.html #43) I tried a few times then left it to report it, when I went back it appeared to have upgraded ok.

On my localhost in admin under search items, I'm getting... Illegal template name: templates/default/admin/searchedit.tpl
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Aug 01, 2008 - 11:32 PM:

Paul wrote:

Let's find out what you and babrees have in common. I'm guessing you're running PHP in apache mode (777 permissions)? Do you have FTP info entered at Admin -> Settings -> System? Are you sure that info is correct? If it's not entered, and you are in apache mode, there's your chmod problem.

Just upgraded to beta 11 and got...

An error occoured at www.justearings.co.uk/upgra...datetemplates=1&fromfree=0 on 2008-08-02 03:55:00. Please relay this data to support. Error #2: 'chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted' in /home/justeari/public_html/includes/commonfuncs.php on line 2624.

An error occoured at www.justearings.co.uk/upgra...datetemplates=1&fromfree=0 on 2008-08-02 03:55:08. Please relay this data to support. Error #2: 'copy(templates/admin/main.tpl) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied' in /home/justeari/public_html/includes/filefunctions.php on line 21.

On checking chmod I found that the languages file is 644. Changed it via admin (won't let me via ftp). I also saw that all the file templates in admin were 644. Again, it won't let me change them via ftp so went through admin and chmod facility. I entered the templates/admin and although it said it had changed all the files and directories under that when I checked they are still 644.

It this what is causing the prob? Do I take it that some of the updates haven't been made?
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Aug 02, 2008 - 12:12 AM:

Just upgraded my localhost with no probs.

However, the template upgrade is causing me grief as it overwrote some of my customised wrapper.tpl and caused a mess. On line 92 I had an <OTHERWISE> statement. It removed that and inserted <div class="clear"></div>

Also, in my stylesheet it added footer and main classes, which were in fact already in there, although on a different line to the standard css due to customising.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Aug 03, 2008 - 1:51 PM:

babrees wrote:
Just upgraded to beta 11 and got...

Please let me know if you're in apache or suphp mode, and who the owner of the file is. To not be permitted to chmod means it must be owned by someone other than who PHP is running as. That's what you're supposed to enter FTP info for in Apache mode.

If you're in apache mode and refusing to enter FTP info, I can't support that.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 03, 2008 - 3:17 PM:

babrees wrote:
Just upgraded my localhost with no probs.

However, the template upgrade is causing me grief as it overwrote some of my customised wrapper.tpl and caused a mess. On line 92 I had an <OTHERWISE> statement. It removed that and inserted <div class="clear"></div>

Did it give instructions for other things to change in the template which would've made it right, did it just say "upgrade complete" or was there a blank screen?

Also, in my stylesheet it added footer and main classes, which were in fact already in there, although on a different line to the standard css due to customising.

Were they on lines by themslves? it checks for any line that contains the class definition, so
.footer
for example.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 03, 2008 - 5:45 PM:

Tested about 20 upgrades from 4.1 yesterday and it seemed to be smarter with the templates by the end (and I didn't notice outright errors at the start, just spots it didn't realize it could do automatically), but I'm adding a checkbox to not have it apply changes to customized templates.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Aug 03, 2008 - 11:16 PM:

Paul wrote:

Please let me know if you're in apache or suphp mode, and who the owner of the file is. To not be permitted to chmod means it must be owned by someone other than who PHP is running as. That's what you're supposed to enter FTP info for in Apache mode.

If you're in apache mode and refusing to enter FTP info, I can't support that.

Apache. I am not sure how to confirm who owns file. I uploaded this site exactly the same as all my other sites.

urmm, I have never refused to enter FTP info and confirm yes it is entered and it is correct.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Aug 03, 2008 - 11:23 PM:

Paul wrote:

Did it give instructions for other things to change in the template which would've made it right, did it just say "upgrade complete" or was there a blank screen?

There were other things to change in the template, but tbh there was so much it was telling me to change, that after I did the first couple I thought it easier and quicker to simply use your new wrapper template and re-customise it!

Paul wrote:

Were they on lines by themslves? it checks for any line that contains the class definition, so
.footer

for example.

hmm, just remembered that I changed my footer and main to id (#), as is the best way to do css when there is only 1 occurence of a style on a page.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Aug 03, 2008 - 11:24 PM:

Paul wrote:
Tested about 20 upgrades from 4.1 yesterday and it seemed to be smarter with the templates by the end (and I didn't notice outright errors at the start, just spots it didn't realize it could do automatically), but I'm adding a checkbox to not have it apply changes to customized templates.

Thanks Paul - that's great.smiling face
babrees
Expert

babrees
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 04, 2008 - 12:44 AM:

Received following error when selecting the switch to combine details and comments:

An error occoured at http://www.justearings.co.uk/admin/switches.php?f... on 2008-08-04 05:41:21. Please relay this data to support. Error #2: 'chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted' in /home/justeari/public_html/includes/commonfuncs.php on line 2624.

However, it seems to have worked

Then got following when switched Alexa off

An error occoured at www.justearings.co.uk/admin...dmin/switches.php?filled=1 on 2008-08-04 05:45:04. Please relay this data to support. Error #2: 'chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted' in /home/justeari/public_html/includes/commonfuncs.php on line 2624.
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 04, 2008 - 9:51 PM:

I think I found the chmod error problem. Overwrite your includes/filefunctions.php with the one in the latest release before autoupgrading.

The errors in your post #10 say it can't chmod .htaccess. This would be the case in apache mode where the file is owned by another user. Will suppress that error.

babrees wrote:
hmm, just remembered that I changed my footer and main to id (#), as is the best way to do css when there is only 1 occurence of a style on a page.

They're specified in the templates as classes, not as element ids, so they need to be classes and not element ids in the stylesheet as well.

The only thing "better" about # is that "id=" is only three characters while "class=" is 6 characters, but for you, creating such a gratuitous functionless difference from my defaults forces you to waste hours and hours over the years and is thus indisputably the worst way to do css.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 04, 2008 - 11:42 PM:

Thanks Paul

It is just that I was taught always do id as they are more stable. Can't remember the ins and outs now, but think it may have been to do with the different browsers (particularly ie) and how they handle them.

I shall change them to classes.
Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 05, 2008 - 3:02 AM:

IE has lots of CSS problems, but it certainly doesn't have any problem the basic concept of CSS classes.

Doing it by id is preferable when you may be manipulating the element with javascript, I suppose, since javascript will want the element to have an id. I just use classes for everything (unless there's javascript involved) for consistency and easier searching.
babrees
Expert

babrees
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 05, 2008 - 3:30 AM:

Thanks Paul. I guess I too shall use just classes. Just that when you read that all the "css experts" say they're better it's easy to believe it!
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.