Changing the Title tag.
How?

Comments on Changing the Title tag.

Beginner

Usergroup: Guest
Total Topics: 0
Total Comments: 0
Posted Aug 26, 2005 - 4:13 AM:

It's easy to use the admin section to add cutom description or keyword meta tags. But I have not found a way to change the title tags for each category.

I really don't want to have "Name Of Directory: Category Name". For each title.

Anyone know how to do this? Also for the home page?

Thanks.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Aug 26, 2005 - 2:43 PM:

The category title scheme can be found in your language -> page titles area. It consists of {CATNAME} by default.

Beginner

Posted Aug 26, 2005 - 9:10 PM:

Thanks.

But I don't understand how I would create a separate custom title for each category.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 27, 2005 - 4:07 PM:

You would create a new category field for that and use its template variable in the language item.

Beginner

Posted Aug 27, 2005 - 7:42 PM:

Thanks again. Unfortunately I don't understand what any of that means.

Perhaps WSNLinks is not for me, I'm not a software programmer.
capitaine
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 272
Posted Aug 28, 2005 - 4:05 AM:

I'm not sure you're going to find any other software out there that will let you customise it the way you want. With WSN you can do what you want by adding in a custom field which is what Paul means. See here: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...inks/wsnmanual/articles/98

Beginner

Posted Aug 28, 2005 - 4:16 AM:

Thanks for that capitaine

I'm sure that WSN Links is the most customisable tool of its kind. Unfortuately, if the degree of knowledge required to do that kind of customisation is as difficult as this, then it may not be for someone like me.

I was hoping that for basic customisation, such as having a custom title tag for each category, it would be as simple as typing in the text into an input box. Much the same as many other features are.

I am fairly IT literate, but I am not a coder. I understand that some advanced features would require hand-coding skills. But adding a simple title tag?

I have read the explanation in the link you kindly provided and it makes absolutely no sense to me. I'll have another coffee and see if I can work it out, but it doesn't look promising.
capitaine
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 28, 2005 - 9:15 AM:

it would be as simple as typing in the text into an input box
it is.

Go in your admin, Customisations/Add Fields. (Make sure your templates are chmod to at least 666). In the Add field drop-down, choose category field and give it a name like 'customtitle'. Then click Add field

Go into your templates and edit the wrapper. Where it says <title>{PAGETITLE}</title> change it to <title>{CATCUSTOMTITLE}</title>

You can now edit your categories and you'll see an input box where you can enter in a custom category title

Beginner

Posted Aug 28, 2005 - 10:32 AM:

Well that sounds fairly easy.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it doesn't work, all I am getting in the header as a result of this is {CATCUSTOMTITLE}..

Do I have to change any of the other settings such as;

"with mysql field type", "Type", "Label to use in template (field name by defaul", and so on?

Thanks again

Beginner

#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 28, 2005 - 10:38 AM:

I'm also getting this error now when I regenerate all counters. Could this be connected?

Warning: filesize(): Stat failed for /home/username/public_html/listings/attachments/8d5205199d762a6c06c5a5842ebe520e.wsn (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /home/username/public_html/listings/classes/attachment.php on line 258

Warning: getimagesize(/home/username/public_html/listings/attachments/8d5205199d762a6c06c5a5842ebe520e.wsn): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/username/public_html/listings/classes/attach
capitaine
Forum Regular

#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 28, 2005 - 12:52 PM:

don't think those errors are connected to this issue...

anyway it looks like its not the page title itself you need adjusting - Paul's earlier post said this:
The category title scheme can be found in your language -> page titles area. It consists of {CATNAME} by default.

so look in that template and then make the change I described earlier.

I don't see any reason for it not to work. If it doesn't you'll need to get Paul to help further...

Beginner

#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 29, 2005 - 1:09 AM:

Hi capitaine

Thanks very much for that. That works - kind of. But it doesn't really do exactly what I was after. The title page still reads;

"Name Of Directory: My Custom Title"

I just want it to read:

"My Custom Title"

If you can crack that, I'd be very greatful.

Thank again for your help.
capitaine
Forum Regular

#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 29, 2005 - 5:57 AM:

it seems to be coming directly out of the php files.... I have no idea where to edit... Paul?

Beginner

#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 29, 2005 - 8:08 AM:

No worries capitaine.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Paul
developer

Paul
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 29, 2005 - 7:35 PM:

[bad instructions removed, see below post for how to remove the site title from the title tag area]

dt wrote:
I understand that some advanced features would require hand-coding skills.

Let me be clear: virtually nothing ever requires editing PHP. I strongly discourage PHP changes are they're very rarely the right way to do something. On ther other hand, HTML coding is an important skill which is why I list it as recommended.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.