Comments on 3.20 Question

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jun 20, 2005 - 4:03 AM:

This is a change I made as a custom project (for a fee) for someone who's using WSN Links to index articles, and thus has articles on the link details page. She wanted the URLs of the articles to have their titles in them for search engine purposes (pages tend to rank better with keywords in the URL). It doesn't let you use site.com/links/LinkTitle because there's too much probability of duplicate link titles (which would make it impossible to tell apart) and just as importantly because making the script determine the id based on the title would slow down a number of pages. So, to combine the best of both worlds, it works as site.com/links/LinkTitle-1.html (you can change this to remove the .html or the like, so long as you make the corresponding change in the .htaccess, but you need to keep the {LINKID} in there somewhere)... this way the title is in the URL, but so is the id and thus it's unique and doesn't slow things down.

Now, I see what you mean in saying that nothing changes. There's an oversight in the WSN Links 3.2 implimentation at the moment in that it doesn't automatically start using the new format to link to the link details page -- you have to edit your templates to use <a href="{LINKREWRITEURL}">Details</a> to link to the details page. For the final version (or the next beta as the case may be) I intend to add in an option to turn the details name rewriting on and off, and have it automatically applied without the need for the template change. (I want it to be optional in case it breaks on some link titles, until I find out what titles those might be and fix it.)
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.