Comments on email all users, log and so forth

zippo
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 48
Total Comments: 166
zippo
Posted Feb 12, 2006 - 3:55 PM:

I dig up some older messages about the email all users, queue, and log.

Having just fixed a qmail problem on my server I now have email working and have been testing some things.

Few questions come up now though.

I have two members and I sent a custom email to all members explaining the problem and that they were in fact validated. Anyhow, upon sending the email I am notified that 2 emails have been dispatched.

I had QUEUE on. A few minutes later I had the log entry for one of the member email addresses.

After reading about the QUEUE and how it triggers on page loads I refreshed my main index figuring that was needed to confirm the second email was sent -- show up in the log.

Noda. Still nothing in the log but the one.

So I read about how the separate copy of the mass emails was a bug in early 3.x versions.. but I didn't see any clarification if there should be any indication of multiple recipients in the 1 single email log entry.. Which there isn't in my case.

WHich brings be to a few pointed questions:

1. how many index.php loads trigger the queue dispatching?
2. what should be in the log after a mass email of all members?

..and possibly a bug:

- member name of "Serious Sam"
- Send this email to members where their [name] [contains] Serious
- preview
- send

The log shows a blank TO column so I am not sure where the problem is. Matching the 'contains' query, preview clobbering the match or the log not logging it with a match..
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Feb 13, 2006 - 5:27 AM:

For a bulk email, there is normally one log entry -- it would just make the log less useful to clutter with a thousand copies. The 'to' is empty because it's a bulk email not sent to a specific person but a bunch of people.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Feb 13, 2006 - 2:25 PM:

Hmm, the TO wasn't empty for the first example, when I didn't use any matching criteria.

Short of customizing the msg header with a CC: or Return-Receipt-To: I take it there isn't any way to confirm bulk messages have been sent?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 13, 2006 - 11:07 PM:

Check that you got them, obviously.
zippo
Forum Regular

zippo
Posted Feb 16, 2006 - 1:09 PM:

huh? I'm not bulk e-mailing myself and what I have done with this appears to purposly not send to the admin member, which is the account I use.

..or do I 'obviously' consider that since admin didn't get a copy of the bulk e-mail that it's not sending?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Feb 19, 2006 - 6:49 PM:

I send bulk emails (newsletters) for one of my forums. I have two accounts, an admin account and a test account. When they both get an email, I know it obviously worked. One account really works just as well to test.

The only reason an admin would not get a bulk email is if you specified in some way to not send to an admin.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.