Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

Chained select - province, region, city

Title Chained select - province, region, city
Description I'm stuck
Message Text Ok, this is going to be a long one ;-) First of all my directory will be quadri-lingual (for Belgium). I will need the field CITY in several places (user registration, link submission, event submission). I don't want to have a free input-field cause I want to avoid people filling in whatever, spelling-mistakes, etc... Also the exact city-name will be importan for other features like regional search. It's also importan to know that some of the about 650 Belgian city names exisit in up to 4 different language-versions and that they should show up depending on the user's selected language. What I thought of is to use chained select-boxes: --------------------------------------------------------- 1) select Province // 2) select Region // 3) select City --------------------------------------------------------- Example for what I mean with chained selects: www.dynamicdrive.com/dynami...6/chainedselects/index.htm In addition to the existing field CITY I thought of creating new fields called CITYFRENCH, CITYDUTCH and CITYGERMAN and to do the whole-chaind-selects-thing manually in 4 different languages (will be a lot of work). But I'm still confused how to submit 4 different fields to the database with only one option selected. Example: Somebody selects the city "Brussels", but on submit I have to send: 1) Brussels ----> CITY 2) Bruxelles -----> CITYFRENCH 3) Brussel ----> CITYDUTCH 4) Brüssel -----> CITYGERMAN Anyway - I have the feeling my solution is very much more complicated than it has to be... I also thought of having only one field "CITY" and saving all the city-names in the languages files (like this was already done with countries). But I guess the chained selects won't work like that and the cities won't be searchable (except the english ones). I spent the whole night on that, but I guess I'm on the wrong track... Cheers, Chris
Rating
  • 0/5
0/5 based on 0 votes.
Ownership chris
Views 532 views. Averaging 0 views per day.