Comments on Two Wrappers???

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Jul 15, 2009 - 7:14 AM:

OK, This should be impossible but it is happening.

I have redone categories, deleting most, renaming some and adding new. I have also updated the wrapper and main templates and uploaded them correctly. Whilst logged in I see all of the changes I have made and it is perfect. However, the minute I log out I lose the majority of changes. 

Yes, I have deleted my browser cache, and in fact gone on to another computer to check it.

Yes, I have regenerated - several times

Yes, I definitely uploaded the changes - I can see them when logged in

Here are screen shots:  The first is whilst I am logged in, the second logged-out

Attached Files:
hai
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 339
hai
Posted Jul 15, 2009 - 11:56 PM:

Could you have some of your categories set to not be viewable by guests?
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Jul 16, 2009 - 12:26 AM:

hai wrote:
Could you have some of your categories set to not be viewable by guests?

Thanks, but that's not the problem.

It is showing categories that I have deleted and the old name on those I have renamed. I have also changed the switches to NOT show subcategories on the home page, but if you look on the second image they show - those sub-cats have all been deleted so shouldn't be there anyway!

Also the template is not showing new stuff. If you look on the image where I am logged in it shows a sub-nav on the grey bar under the header. On the guest view it shows just the grey bar, before I added the subnav. Also on the right hand column I have added a box for advertisers, which you can see on the first image, the second image should show Log-in and Register links.

OK - this is strange!  I just went to the site to see if it was still the same, which it was.  I wondered what would happen if I clicked on some of those cats and subcats that were deleted or had been renamed, first one, that had been deleted, took me to a 404 page, went back to home page which was still the same, clicked on resources (which had been renamed) and it took me to the category showing links and subcats that had been deleted, clicked on a subcat which took me to a "no content exists" page (rather than just a 404).  Went back to the home page and it is now all showing correctly!

Weird!

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jul 16, 2009 - 8:02 AM:

When things look old as a guest but not as admin, that means you have the cache system activated for guests -- perhaps only when over a certain load level. The cache settings are at the top of Admin Panel -> Settings -> General. De-select all options from the usergroups box and blank out the "Automatically use guest caching when the server load is above" box.

If you intend to use caching and it wasn't a mistake, you can just click the "empty cache now" link after doing changes.
babrees
Expert

babrees
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted Jul 16, 2009 - 8:11 AM:

Mystery solved!!!   Thanks Paul!  I thought I was going daft!

Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.