Can I have multiple durations?

Comments on FEEDURATION flexible?

sparkalina
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 70
Total Comments: 211
Posted Sep 26, 2008 - 9:51 PM:

Here's my problem. (looked in the manual and forum for past posts but couldn't find an answer)

I have member sponsorship and item sponsorship.

Members pay yearly for site access (365 feeduration)
Members can have their listings featured (sponsored) but it's only for a week (7 feeduration)

Since I can't enter 7,365 in the feeduration field in sponsorship settings, is there a way around this such that when customers are on the item sponsorship page feeduration is set for 7 days and when the member is on the member sponsorship page it's set to 365?

Is there a logical way to do this or is this a custom job?

Thanks

sparkalina
Forum Regular

Posted Sep 26, 2008 - 10:20 PM:

Also: Issues with ignoring payment page. (test member able to surf site without paying)

1) filled out form
2) came to sponsorship page as expected. ignored page and...
3) clicked manage my account (which is a link to the member's profile)

4) Then I clicked on search.php which is viewable by this usergroup however since my test account hadn't paid anything I thought some of the site wouldn't be accessible...but it was.

So I'm confused as to where/how the sponsorship prevents people from using the site until they've paid. Do I have to write IF statements into the item details page to prevent data from being seen?

Why was I able to bypass the payment page and surf the site?

I'm sorry if my notes are unclear, because this is my first attempt at a complicated membership site.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Sep 29, 2008 - 5:44 AM:

You can make a custom payment button that specifies the amount you want them to deposit -- then it doesn't matter what the duration is, you can just do the math to make it work with 1 day.

I need to see what your permissions selections are.

So I'm confused as to where/how the sponsorship prevents people from using the site until they've paid.

Usergroup sponsorship promotes people to the usergroup you specify. What each usergroup can do is something for you to decide, not me. On one of my forums, for example, I give the sponsors a special color and title, the ability to make unlimited shouts, and access to one particular extra forum which is invisible to the other groups.
sparkalina
Forum Regular

Posted Sep 29, 2008 - 3:41 PM:

So I'm confused as to where/how the sponsorship prevents people from using the site until they've paid.

Usergroup sponsorship promotes people to the usergroup you specify. What each usergroup can do is something for you to decide, not me. On one of my forums, for example, I give the sponsors a special color and title, the ability to make unlimited shouts, and access to one particular extra forum which is invisible to the other groups.

I understand the promotion of a group from guest to member for instance, however the problem I'm facing is that the guest signs up, is signed on as a member, sent to the payment page, but if the member skips around the site and doesn't pay, their account is active as the group member not guest and basically they get all the benefits of registering without paying.

In more mathematical terms.

User A (usergroup 1) decides to become User A (usergroup 2). Usergroup 2 can search Usergroup 1 cannot.
User A/usergroup 1 fills out form goes to payment page and is now signed in as User A/usergroup 2.
User A/usergroup 2 is logged in as User A/usergroup 2, clicks any link and has access to site because I've given usergroup 2 access but 2 is listed as sponsored group so therefore they shouldn't be able to access the site until funds are greater than zero.

I have no problem adding in IF statements to prevent use of the accounts until funds > 0 but I thought that was automatic.

Did that make more sense or am I beating a dead horse with repetition?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Oct 01, 2008 - 4:37 AM:

You seem to be saying you want people to have to pay to register, so please explain how what you're looking for differs from the highlighted option: http://www.webmastersite.net/screenshots/21877.jpg
sparkalina
Forum Regular

Posted Oct 03, 2008 - 1:26 AM:

Paul wrote:
You seem to be saying you want people to have to pay to register, so please explain how what you're looking for differs from the highlighted option: http://www.webmastersite.net/screenshots/21877.jpg

Yes, I want people to pay to register so that they have access to data (i.e. street addresses ).
I understand the screenshot. I understand that there is a member user group promotion for this purpose. I am using this to grant access to the site.

Scenario that is currently at play here (not a proposed scenario, this is actually happening):

I am charging a fee to from a guest to a member.

-My guest registers. (direct registration is on)
-My guest gets taken immediately to the paypal payment fee page on WSNCL.
-The guest ignores the paypal button payment page on WSNCL and hits my Search button instead.
-Guest now sees EVERYTHING a paid member sees without paying. Their funds are ZERO. They should not be able to access member priveldged areas UNTIL the payment goes through and funds become greater than zero.
-But they can view it because after registering they are immediately turned into members with funds at zero but with an all access I grant members.

If it makes any difference to this scenario. Guests are allow to search but I use conditionals to remove data I don't want them to see.

Maybe I need to just put in conditionals to force them to pay by saying "IF funds are 0, pay up."

My unanswered question is that even without my conditionals to remove certain data from guests, guests will have all access to the site as members even if they don't pay up and member group promotion is turned on. To me that doesn't seem logical. IE I can't download a song off itunes until my payment goes through. But on WSNCL if I were selling music, I'd be able download it without paying.

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Oct 03, 2008 - 4:50 PM:

-The guest ignores the paypal button payment page

Then they're not validated yet and have the permissions of the guest usergroup, not the member usergroup.

Not sure if direct registration automatically turns off or you have to turn it off manually, but I do know that they automatically get validated when they pay.
sparkalina
Forum Regular

Posted Oct 03, 2008 - 5:21 PM:

Paul wrote:
-The guest ignores the paypal button payment page

Then they're not validated yet and have the permissions of the guest usergroup, not the member usergroup.

Not sure if direct registration automatically turns off or you have to turn it off manually, but I do know that they automatically get validated when they pay.

Based on that info, I'm guessing that direct activation of the account is what's causing my problem. Direct activation activates the account, sends them to the paypal page but they're already "members" at that point so they have the ability to bypass the payment.

I'll play around with it and see if I can't find a more specific error.
sparkalina
Forum Regular

Posted Oct 03, 2008 - 10:04 PM:

After playing around a bit both with my custom registration form and the original form...my test memberships are being validated without paying any funds.

Basically if you login as the test user, click any link, or search, or view an item, you see all data as the member usergroup that is required to pay first before being able to use the site.

So???? What now?

Paul
developer

Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 04, 2008 - 3:05 AM:

I'll forcibly turn off direct registration when those sponsorship settings are selected.
sparkalina
Forum Regular

#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 04, 2008 - 10:02 AM:

I don't think you have to do that....just put a note next to "direct registration" saying this does not work in conjunction with sponsorships.

I'll test out email activation with signing up, but it's just one more hoop surfers must go through to register.

---------------

On a more serious note: by disabling direct registration without explaining to users why you've done it, they'll just come to you and bug you like I have about why direct registration doesn't work with sponsorships. It took several go arounds just to figure that out here.

I think more clarification in support documents is better than just turning something off. IMHO. I read all of those little question marks you place in the admin back end. They're very helpful.
Paul
developer

Paul
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 05, 2008 - 3:05 AM:

I'm putting it to manual validation automatically. Email validation doesn't really make sense to me in that situation... their payment is enough proof of who they are. It's not a hoop, because all they have to do to get validated is pay. Well that is a hoop, but the hoop is the whole point of sponsorship.

Also the manual validation is an appropriate fallback for anyone you process a payment manually for (a check or money order, other payment system not supported, cash, whatever). You certainly don't want them to be able to register directly or validate with an email.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.