Comments on emails not going out

hai
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 339
hai
Posted Aug 10, 2008 - 2:19 PM:

Paul, sorry for yet another email related problem, but at some point after either the 4.1.60 or 4.1.61 upgrade emails stopped going out. They show up in the email log, but they are not being recieved. Tried sending a test to more than one member, but still nothing has shown up in either email account.

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Aug 10, 2008 - 3:27 PM:

If you're suppressing errors, you probably have the same issue as www.webmastersite.net/forum...rade-to160-today-8288.html . Otherwise, give a specific example. Are you bulk emailing members?
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Aug 10, 2008 - 6:47 PM:

I took a look at the post you linked to, but I don't have any of those problems. I'm not getting any errors, I changed the debug level to show queries to admins, but I still do not get anything resembling an error. I actually show the query where the email should be going out, but still nothing is received.

I originally found the problem when assigning a link it did not send out the email. I have since tried the following

1. sending an email using the "Send E-mail" section of the admin panel with a prewritten email
2. sending an email using the "Send E-mail" section of the admin panel with a very simple email with the subject 'test' and the message 'test', no vars, no html, nothing
3. I have sent a regular email from my email client to the account which was recieved
4. I've setup a new user and that account did not recieve the initial welcome email either

All the emails sent in all scenarios are listed in the email log correctly.

Since you linked to that other post I also tried uploading the most recent schemas/dbschema.wsn and ran upgrade.php. I'm still not getting any errors, but the emails are not being received.

I wish I had more information to give you, but I don't have any. If there is anything else I can do to help you figure this out let me know.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Aug 10, 2008 - 7:57 PM:

Ok, after all this testing and getting no errors, I was continuing to do some other work on the site and approved a listing. Went back to the site and the following error showed up at the top of the page -

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent. in /home/html/portal/includes/commonfuncs.php on line 650
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Aug 10, 2008 - 8:13 PM:

Well, I had another thought and this may actually give you some real information.

I had changed my email preferences to MIME as the default format due to those html emails I was testing. I changed it back to plain text and now the emails are going out. I guess whatever you said you changed in post #2 here - www.webmastersite.net/forum...ds/html-in-email-8271.html must have affected the emails actually going out.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 13, 2008 - 7:17 AM:

Can't reproduce any mime errors in 4.1.61.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 13, 2008 - 8:02 PM:

I see now only one of the emails got through... but I'm not seeing any error messages for the others.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Aug 14, 2008 - 12:46 AM:

Yeah, unfortunately, that's the biggest problem. I tested it a bunch of different ways as I listed above, but never got an error message except that 1 time. The only reason I know that the emails weren't going out is because I was actually checking the accounts they were supposed to go to since I was still doing some testing.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 14, 2008 - 6:20 PM:

Fixed for 4.1.62.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 17, 2008 - 6:11 PM:

Unfortunately, 4.1.62 didn't fix it for me. Got the following today when I first loaded the site -

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent. in /home/html/portal/includes/commonfuncs.php on line 607

I believe that if I change back to plain text I shouldn't have any problems. So if you want me to continue testing this for you I will, but if you can't figure out why it's happening and no one else is having the problem you can leave it I guess. It's up to you if you want to continue pursuing this or not.
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 19, 2008 - 8:59 AM:

Works perfectly for me with MIME at http://sandbox.wsnforum.com/emailtest/ . If you're doing something different, show me what. (Re-?)created an account for you as hai/test.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 19, 2008 - 9:16 AM:

It definitely works fine on your sandbox and I'm not doing anything differently. Maybe I should try doing a manual update? Could it be that something in the original upgrade when I started this post didn't update correctly? I'll give that a try later on tonight.
Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 19, 2008 - 9:42 PM:

Seems unlikely that the email files wouldn't have upgraded when the version number file apparently did. Probably it's some admin panel setting you have that differs.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 24, 2008 - 3:09 PM:

Well, my upgrade to 5.0.1 hasn't resolved this. Now, I have noticed that after sending out an email using MIME I receive the same error as above -

Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Bad parameters to mail() function, mail not sent. in /home/html/portal/includes/commonfuncs.php on line 607

When I refresh the page I recieve a blank page with -

Non-numeric id value given in creating object.
WSN Links 5.0.1

In addition to this, the other day I recieved one of the many test emails I sent out the last time I tested (last w/e I believe). It was odd it was only 1 email, but it came in 2 days after I actually sent it - I had not set a future posting date. It seemed to have been sent after I had someone other than myself review the site for me.
Paul
developer

Paul
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 24, 2008 - 4:02 PM:

So what are your email settings? Do you have, for example, the -f parameter on?

Refreshes after a form submission could fail if your browser happens to be brain dead and doesn't resubmit the form content (though I'm pretty sure FF, Opr and Konq resubmit).
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.