Comments on Need Confirmation

googlejunky
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 3
Posted Apr 19, 2008 - 9:12 PM:

1. There are no metatags in category sections
I would have to have the metatag reflect the directory name at the very least.

2. The details page of a site has no meta tags
Each sites details page needs to use their description in the pages metatag description

3. CSS - Use of "Hidden"
I need to know if there is even one ounce of CSS or inline styles that are using the "hidden" attribute in any of the code.

If there is a section of code using "hidden"...where is it and is it being used in some area that I can get rid of it without effecting important parts of code needed.

These are the only issues that matter to me. Everything else I see in WSN Links is golden.
The questions I stated above have to have a solution for it to be usable for me.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Apr 20, 2008 - 6:13 PM:

1 & 2) Read scripts.webmastersite.net/w...wsnlinks/manual41.html#seo

3) "visibility: hidden" appears in the admin panel's stylesheet (shows/hides various bits on click) and in FCKEditor's fck_editor.css and fckdialog.html. The admin panel spot is easily removed if you want to make your admin panel more difficult to use. As for the FCKEditor spots, you'd really have to ask them if FCKEditor can still work without that element of CSS: http://www.fckeditor.net

"OVERFLOW: hidden" is used in dozens of places by FCKEditor, and in the shoutbox and admin panel frameset by WSN Links, to get around Internet Explorer horizontal scrollbar annoyances.
webflair
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
1 of 1 people found this comment helpful
Posted Apr 20, 2008 - 8:17 PM:

Paul of course is the best person to answer your question, but let me also give you a long term customers prospective...

You can add meta tags to categories in many ways, you can set up a series of IF statements and variables, you can create a custom field in your categories and edit each one to create a custom meta tag for each one, then display this using a variable such as {CATDESCRIPTIONTAG) or {CATKEYWORDSTAG} assuming descriptiontag and keywordstag are what you called your new custom field.

You can easily add a meta description to details pages like this.... <meta name="description" content="{LINKDESCRIPTIONSTRIPPED[300]}"> .... That tells PHP to display the first 300 characters of the description, without any HTML.

Similar to categories, you could even create custom fields within links to display a custom description or keywords tag. This can be a lot of work if you have a lot of listings though, but often worth it when it comes to SEO.

The hidden attributes in the CSS of this script is something I have never bothered to change and have never had any problem with. Google and other search engines crawl and index the pages very well and I have NEVER had any problems with rankings at all.

Mat Cutts (Google engineer in charge of web Spam) has clarified that using CSS to hide text can be normal practice in some web design elements, but using css to hide keyword rich strings of text may be looked at as SPAM. Currently Google are not algorithmically removing or penalising site for hiding things with CSS, but in some cases may red flag a site for doing such. I really wouldn't worry about the Hidden elements in WSN scripts as these are not type of thing that will get red flagged, penalised or removed. My opinion only of course.
googlejunky
Beginner

Posted Apr 21, 2008 - 12:59 PM:

I won't bother with the admin area and CSS Hidden. I only didn't want it in view of search engines. I won't go into a huge explanation on search engines likes and dislikes here though. Jayweb - you read my mind and I appreciate you covering this.

As far as the "shoutbox", I'll just get rid of it. I wouldn't be using it anyway.

Thanks very much to both of you for the great and in depth information.

it helped me make the decision to purchase it within the end of the week.

Thanks again,
Google Junky
webflair
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Apr 21, 2008 - 6:02 PM:

You wont regret it, I wasted years on other scripts, including some that cost a bloody furtune, and I have never looked back since using WSM links.

The thing I like most googlejunky, is that the script is custmisable that you can build a site that really feels like your own, rather than just a copy of a million other sites.

Take a look at this ... click here ... Thats made with this script, its not finished yet but it'll give you an idea of just how custmisable it is.

googlejunky
Beginner

Posted Apr 21, 2008 - 8:32 PM:

Hello Jayweb,

You have done a great job on your site. It's very professional looking.

I shopped around for a few days before I decided to stick with asking about this one.
Even though I haven’t used it yet, I would have to say that there really isn't anything else that compares to the options and versatility of WSN Links.

I had been using the free version of Gossamer Threads 2.0. It lacks the ability to change much of anything. I did modify it quite a bit, but it never got to the point it needed to be. I knew it was time to move on to something that functions and in a language such as PHP, that I understand a lot better.

Our site, which I never reference to in forums, is top in its niche and I hope to stay that way with this new addition.

Thanks for all your help and good luck in all you do,
Google Junky
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.