Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

Is this supposed to happen?
Change cat meta tags deletes cat descrip in dir?

Comments on Is this supposed to happen?

midwestmedia

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 21
Total Comments: 50
Posted Mar 25, 2008 - 11:40 AM:

Sorry for the cryptic description in my thread title...smiling face Tried to make it as descriptive as possible!

Here's what happened....I wanted category-specific meta tags so I put in keyword and description meta tags for each category. But the actual description of the category in the directory itself was deleted...So when you browse the categories, it just shows the category names and not the sentence or two I had written for each.

When I go into the category editing page, the box that previously had my category descriptions that would be visible in the directory are all missing. I'm nearly positive this is related to the meta tag insertion because I never completed all of the categories, and so the categories which do not have custom meta tags still have their description on the category editing page.

Is that supposed to happen, or is it a bug? Just wanted to check before I file a formal bug report.

Thanks! Jen
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Mar 26, 2008 - 1:17 AM:

That's not logically possible, the two have nothing to do with each other. Nothing unusual happens when I type category header info. Maybe if you typed </textarea> < and somehow it didn't get escaped then stuff lower on the page could become invisible, but it's the header info box which is lower on the edit page.

Unless there's a web browser out there which randomly shuffles HTML.
midwestmedia

Total Topics: 21
Total Comments: 50
Posted Mar 26, 2008 - 8:16 AM:

Ok, I went back into it and looked at what happens when I edit the header, and I think it's this instead, which is still strange...

I didn't notice this before, but when I was in there editing the header, the description I had already written was not in the description box. That box was blank as though I had never written a description at all instead of it still being there from the last time I edited.

So I see it's not likely directly related to the meta tags, but just to opening and re-editing a category. For some reason the description is being stripped from the category upon opening it to edit.

I had simply correlated one action with one result....just not the only action happening at that moment.

Jennifer
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Mar 27, 2008 - 2:47 AM:

This probably isn't the reason for the prob you are having, but when I found this happening to me I eventually found that when customising the edit template I accidentally put the field in twice on the form!!
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Mar 27, 2008 - 3:11 PM:

Does this happen with all descriptions, event if it's just "test"? On all categories?
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.