shlomot
To the here and now !

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 15
Total Comments: 49
shlomot
Posted Mar 11, 2008 - 6:47 AM:

Hello,

As we know by now, the link directory will include thousands of celebrities, each is a master category by itself.

Since it makes no sense to list them all on the homepage, I would like to assign them to index categories such as A-to-Z on first name, last name, stage name, Zodiac Sign, etc. Each celebrity will be assigned to multiple index categories that only them will show on the homepage through a WHERE clause on the new category type "index".

I ask for your opinion how can that be achieved, while keeping the celebrities as master categories.

I tried to include the appropriate index categories in the "Secondary Categories" field of the celebrity category. It almost works fine accept:

1. if you navigate to the celebrity through an index category, you cannot submit a link on the celebrity category page;

2. Whenever you view the categories list-box, the celebrity category shows multiple times, as an independent category and as a child category for the index categories.

Please recommend a solid method to achieve my goal. Thanks a lot.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Mar 13, 2008 - 4:12 AM:

I'd do it as fields with search links, as I mentioned before, but then I've never created a directory of that sort.

1. Do you have category permissions set to forbid submitting there for the usergroup you're trying as? Can I see a link to figure out what you mean by not being able to submit?

2. Sounds like you must've made celebrities a secondary category of other categories, or somethingl like that.
shlomot
To the here and now !

shlomot
Posted Mar 14, 2008 - 12:35 AM:

Dear Paul, without touching any category permissions, everything works fine after upgrading to 4.1.33. Thanks.

Paul wrote:
I'd do it as fields with search links, as I mentioned before...

I'm not sure that I understand what you're referring to. Can you please direct me to this reference?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 14, 2008 - 6:10 AM:

I mentioned the search links for A-Z at www.webmastersite.net/forum...0&findpost=34831#post34831

In a more generalized sense, search links are covered at scripts.webmastersite.net/w...to-search-results-246.html
shlomot
To the here and now !

shlomot
Posted Mar 14, 2008 - 11:48 PM:

Thanks Paul.

The article was helpful.
shlomot
To the here and now !

shlomot
Posted Mar 15, 2008 - 11:22 PM:

Intuitively, I'll be going with Secondary Categories due to three reasons:

1. The SQL searches might be a killer for thousands of categories, plus I don't know how much caching can be applied there;

2. I would like to assign each celebrity to at least two A-Z index categories (first- and last name). Often, a stage name requires an even third index category.

3. The A-Z index categories are not the only type of index. There'll be other indices such as "actors, singers, philosophers, politicians, etc."

I really hope that we'll be able to use the concept of limiting category display by type on homepage and in combo-box, either as a standard or paid feature.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 16, 2008 - 11:29 AM:

#2&3 are why I'd use searches instead of secondary categories -- it just seems like it'd get really confusing assigning to so many categories, you end up having to enter the information multiple times (once for the fields, again for the categories) presuming you want that data shown as fields too. But again, I haven't done such sites, so feel free to use your way.

I really hope that we'll be able to use the concept of limiting category display by type on homepage and in combo-box, either as a standard or paid feature.

What exactly do you mean by that? We already have category types: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...les/category-types-37.html
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.