Comments on unable to auto upgrade

hai
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 94
Total Comments: 339
hai
Posted Dec 28, 2007 - 12:19 PM:

I have been trying since yesterday to upgrade one of my sites - www.marinefiends.com/wsnlinks/ - to the latest version (4.1.22) via the ugprade button on the control panel's overview page. Most of the time, after clicking upgrade, I get a blank page and a "done" in the lower left hand corner of my browser. A couple of times, I've gotten the request to enter my username and password, which I have done but still it doesn't upgrade. I've confirmed that my username and password are valid by logging into the customer's area of your site. I've also gotten a message that said "The zip file could not be downloaded. You may have supplied a bad password, or the WSN server could be down." Since I've confirmed that my username and password are good, is there something wrong with the server or is there something else I can try to do? I was able to download the 4.1.22 zip file from your server (so I'm guessing your server is fine because of that and the fact that I'm typing this post) but I'd rather do the auto upgrade option than the old fashioned manual way. I also tested doing an auto upgrade on my test site which is also running 4.1.18 but with a different domain name and had the same problem. I have also tried upgrading another live, but private, install of wsnlinks which is running 4.1.17 on a different server than the other two sites mentioned here and have had the exact same problem. This private site is running 4.1.17 and has previously been able to auto upgrade - last done 11/28/07 from version 4.1.11 to 4.1.17.

Since the site running 4.1.17 was able to upgrade before, I've tried again with the debug on and got the following the first time:

Load time so far: 0.23 seconds.

Query 2: SELECT `name`,`value` FROM wsnlinks_switches WHERE id>0

Number of rows is 85

Load time so far: 0.25 seconds.

Query 3: SELECT `id`,`type`,`original`,`replacement`,`description`,`originalclose`,`replacementclose`,`sortorder` FROM wsnlinks_markup WHERE type='wsncode' ORDER BY sortorder

Number of rows is 23

Load time so far: 0.26 seconds.

Query 4: SELECT `id`,`title`,`caneditown`,`caneditall`,`canvote`,`isadmin`,`canpost`,`canemail`,`validatecats`,`validatecomments`,`validatelinks`,`validateedits`,`cansubmitlinks`,`cansubmitcategories`,`cansubmitcomments`,`caneditownlinks`,`caneditowncategories`,`caneditowncomments`,`caneditownprofile`,`caneditalllinks`,`caneditallcategories`,`caneditallcomments`,`caneditallprofiles`,`candownloadfiles`,`canupload`,`canviewip`,`limitlinks`,`canemailmembers`,`canusehtml`,`limitlinksdaily`,`canalias`,`cancopy`,`candeleteown`,`candeleteall`,`candofulledit`,`candeletecategories`,`candeletecomments`,`candeleteowncategories`,`candeleteowncomments`,`candeletemembers`,`candeleteownmembers`,`canaliascategories`,`canviewpages`,`caneditvotes`,`numaliases`,`canviewvotes`,`canhideownlinks`,`canhideowncategories`,`canhideowncomments`,`canhidealllinks`,`canhideallcategories`,`canhideallcomments`,`canratecomments`,`bytespermem`,`canpm`,`canim`,`canharddelete`,`limitpms`,`limitpmsdaily`,`canviewdeleted`,`cansubmitpolls`,`candeletepolls`,`candeleteownpolls`,`caneditpolls`,`caneditownpolls`,`attachperpost`,`attachperpm`,`canviewshouts`,`caneditshouts`,`caneditownshouts`,`candeleteshouts`,`candeleteownshouts`,`cansubmitshouts`,`canpollvote`,`customtitle`,`canviewinvisible`,`namestyle`,`canpmimportant`,`canviewmodlog`,`isleader`,`cansubmitquotes`,`validatequotes`,`candeletequotes`,`candeleteownquotes`,`canreport`,`canusesearch`,`attachperlink`,`validateattachments`,`caneditownquotes`,`caneditallquotes`,`canviewchat`,`caneditownevents`,`caneditallevents`,`candeleteownevents`,`candeleteevents`,`cansubmitevents`,`validateevents`,`bulkpms`,`issupermod`,`numinv`,`allowugspec`,`validateemails`,`validatesponsorlinks`,`cansubmittags`,`candeletetags`,`cansubmitfeeds`,`validatefeeds`,`validatefeeditems`,`numaliasestot`,`shoutsperday`,`validatetrader` FROM wsnlinks_membergroups WHERE id>0

Load time so far: 0.27 seconds.

Query 5: SELECT `id`,`name`,`links`,`comments`,`time`,`usergroup`,`password`,`ip`,`totalhits`,`totalhitsin`,`email`,`validated`,`template`,`language`,`lastattempt`,`allowemail`,`signature`,`avatarname`,`stylesheet`,`allowuseremail`,`albumid`,`failedattempts`,`totalbytes`,`funds`,`notifyoflinks`,`lastvisit`,`timezone`,`rating`,`pmfolders`,`notifyofpms`,`acceptpms`,`cookieduration`,`banned`,`location`,`homepage`,`occupation`,`bio`,`aim`,`icq`,`msn`,`yahoo`,`inactive`,`timeonline`,`totalpms`,`buddies`,`ignored`,`isonline`,`acceptims`,`adminpermissions`,`referrer`,`groupreverttime`,`grouprevertto`,`moderationpm`,`secondarygroups`,`linksperpage`,`commentsperpage`,`shouts`,`customtitle`,`shoutban`,`topicbans`,`forumbans`,`visibility`,`birthdate`,`lastsession`,`interests`,`posteditor`,`forumaccess`,`pmpopup`,`pmnotify`,`modnotes`,`guestnotes`,`salt`,`lastmodnote`,`newpms`,`imflag`,`orderalbums`,`lastguestnote`,`autosubscribe`,`notifymethod`,`showavatars`,`showsigs`,`warninglevel`,`topics`,`posts`,`chatcolor`,`traderrating`,`invitessent`,`validatedemail`,`calsub`,`macros`,`guestnotify`,`keychecktime`,`notifykeywords`,`autosubscribepost`,`blogrss`,`positivepct` FROM wsnlinks_members WHERE id=Ɖ' AND validated=1

Load time so far: 0.88 seconds.

Query 6: UPDATE wsnlinks_settings SET content='' WHERE name='customerpass'

The zip file could not be downloaded. You may have supplied a bad password, or the WSN server could be down.
WSN Links 4.1.17

I tried again and got the following, at the bottom was the form to enter my username and password but when I did, I got a 404 page:

Load time so far: 11.03 seconds.

Query 2: SELECT `name`,`value` FROM wsnlinks_switches WHERE id>0

Number of rows is 85

Load time so far: 11.82 seconds.

Query 3: SELECT `id`,`type`,`original`,`replacement`,`description`,`originalclose`,`replacementclose`,`sortorder` FROM wsnlinks_markup WHERE type='wsncode' ORDER BY sortorder

Number of rows is 23

Load time so far: 13.1 seconds.

Query 4: SELECT `id`,`title`,`caneditown`,`caneditall`,`canvote`,`isadmin`,`canpost`,`canemail`,`validatecats`,`validatecomments`,`validatelinks`,`validateedits`,`cansubmitlinks`,`cansubmitcategories`,`cansubmitcomments`,`caneditownlinks`,`caneditowncategories`,`caneditowncomments`,`caneditownprofile`,`caneditalllinks`,`caneditallcategories`,`caneditallcomments`,`caneditallprofiles`,`candownloadfiles`,`canupload`,`canviewip`,`limitlinks`,`canemailmembers`,`canusehtml`,`limitlinksdaily`,`canalias`,`cancopy`,`candeleteown`,`candeleteall`,`candofulledit`,`candeletecategories`,`candeletecomments`,`candeleteowncategories`,`candeleteowncomments`,`candeletemembers`,`candeleteownmembers`,`canaliascategories`,`canviewpages`,`caneditvotes`,`numaliases`,`canviewvotes`,`canhideownlinks`,`canhideowncategories`,`canhideowncomments`,`canhidealllinks`,`canhideallcategories`,`canhideallcomments`,`canratecomments`,`bytespermem`,`canpm`,`canim`,`canharddelete`,`limitpms`,`limitpmsdaily`,`canviewdeleted`,`cansubmitpolls`,`candeletepolls`,`candeleteownpolls`,`caneditpolls`,`caneditownpolls`,`attachperpost`,`attachperpm`,`canviewshouts`,`caneditshouts`,`caneditownshouts`,`candeleteshouts`,`candeleteownshouts`,`cansubmitshouts`,`canpollvote`,`customtitle`,`canviewinvisible`,`namestyle`,`canpmimportant`,`canviewmodlog`,`isleader`,`cansubmitquotes`,`validatequotes`,`candeletequotes`,`candeleteownquotes`,`canreport`,`canusesearch`,`attachperlink`,`validateattachments`,`caneditownquotes`,`caneditallquotes`,`canviewchat`,`caneditownevents`,`caneditallevents`,`candeleteownevents`,`candeleteevents`,`cansubmitevents`,`validateevents`,`bulkpms`,`issupermod`,`numinv`,`allowugspec`,`validateemails`,`validatesponsorlinks`,`cansubmittags`,`candeletetags`,`cansubmitfeeds`,`validatefeeds`,`validatefeeditems`,`numaliasestot`,`shoutsperday`,`validatetrader` FROM wsnlinks_membergroups WHERE id>0

Load time so far: 13.1 seconds.

Query 5: SELECT `id`,`name`,`links`,`comments`,`time`,`usergroup`,`password`,`ip`,`totalhits`,`totalhitsin`,`email`,`validated`,`template`,`language`,`lastattempt`,`allowemail`,`signature`,`avatarname`,`stylesheet`,`allowuseremail`,`albumid`,`failedattempts`,`totalbytes`,`funds`,`notifyoflinks`,`lastvisit`,`timezone`,`rating`,`pmfolders`,`notifyofpms`,`acceptpms`,`cookieduration`,`banned`,`location`,`homepage`,`occupation`,`bio`,`aim`,`icq`,`msn`,`yahoo`,`inactive`,`timeonline`,`totalpms`,`buddies`,`ignored`,`isonline`,`acceptims`,`adminpermissions`,`referrer`,`groupreverttime`,`grouprevertto`,`moderationpm`,`secondarygroups`,`linksperpage`,`commentsperpage`,`shouts`,`customtitle`,`shoutban`,`topicbans`,`forumbans`,`visibility`,`birthdate`,`lastsession`,`interests`,`posteditor`,`forumaccess`,`pmpopup`,`pmnotify`,`modnotes`,`guestnotes`,`salt`,`lastmodnote`,`newpms`,`imflag`,`orderalbums`,`lastguestnote`,`autosubscribe`,`notifymethod`,`showavatars`,`showsigs`,`warninglevel`,`topics`,`posts`,`chatcolor`,`traderrating`,`invitessent`,`validatedemail`,`calsub`,`macros`,`guestnotify`,`keychecktime`,`notifykeywords`,`autosubscribepost`,`blogrss`,`positivepct` FROM wsnlinks_members WHERE id=Ɖ' AND validated=1

Please help.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Dec 28, 2007 - 7:07 PM:

I can't reproduce anything of this sort, and there are no informative messages in output you've posted, so scripts.webmastersite.net/w...dex.php?section=inspection
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Jan 07, 2008 - 4:03 PM:

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your offer but I'd like to hold that in reserve until I REALLY need it. I tried a manual, old fashioned, upgrade instead and have run into an issue. Everything uploaded fine and the overview page of the control panel confirms that I'm running 4.1.23. However, when I try to run the upgrade.php, I get an error of "Unable to create directory './temp/wsnlinks/admin/'Unable to create path for ./temp/wsnlinks/admin/Unable to create directory './temp/wsnlinks/admin/'Unable to create path for ./temp/wsnlinks/admin/Couldn't extract!" I have confirmed with my host that my entire wsnlinks directory and all sub-dirs and files are chmoded 777 as I've seen in some of your previous support posts. Do you have any suggestions on this one?
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jan 08, 2008 - 10:08 AM:

Are you on a safe_mode host? That was confirmed in another thread to be a problem.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Jan 11, 2008 - 3:03 PM:

I don't know. I know that I've confirmed with the host in the past that we are not running php in safe mode but I don't know if that is the same thing as what you are talking about. I searched the support forums but couldn't find the thread you reference - I was looking for it in the hopes that it would help me understand the problem fully and maybe have more information to provide to my host contact. If you can, can you give me a link to it? Thank you, I appreciate your time and attention to helping me try to solve this problem.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jan 12, 2008 - 2:05 PM:

Well if they say you're not in safe mode, that can't be it... they'd know (presuming you asked recently). Could it be a memory limit, then? If memory is limited to 8 megabytes in php.ini that'll tend to stop it completing. 16 megabytes is plenty. But a memory error should give an error message saying so.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
Posted Jan 14, 2008 - 4:00 PM:

My host has confirmed since my last post that I am not running php safe mode. I have emailed them back with your memory suggestion. I am definitely not getting an error that specifically says anything about memory but I figured it didn't hurt to eliminate that too. Or, perhaps, hold out hope that that will be the issue and it can be resolved easily. If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I will post again when I hear back from my host.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Jan 14, 2008 - 10:47 PM:

The temp directory exists? Are permissions on it 777?
mrkarron
Experienced

Total Topics: 33
Total Comments: 97
Posted Jan 15, 2008 - 11:22 AM:

I have also had problems upgrading on two sites on two different servers. I receive the "The zip file could not be downloaded. You may have supplied a bad password, or the WSN server could be down message." I am not in safe mode. The problem started for me also arount 4.1.17.
Paul
developer

Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 15, 2008 - 11:44 PM:

Then again, unless the two of you can figure out what you have in common, it requires the inspection form.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 21, 2008 - 2:38 PM:

Paul,

My host increased the memory available but when I try to run the upgrade.php, I still get the same error: "Unable to create directory './temp/wsnlinks/admin/'Unable to create path for ./temp/wsnlinks/admin/Couldn't extract!" The temp directory does exist and is chmoded to 777.

mrkarron,

What type of server are your sites on that had the same problem? Maybe we can find a connection to help us and maybe help Paul help us!
mrkarron
Experienced

Total Topics: 33
Total Comments: 97
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 21, 2008 - 4:49 PM:

The site(s) with the update problems are hosted on a rackspace VPS. Runs on centOS. Apache/1.3.39 (Unix) mod_perl/1.30 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.30 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
PHP 5.2.5 with zend engine 2.2.0 Loaded PHP Extensions: xmlwriter, libxml, dom, xmlreader, xml, tokenizer, session, pcre, SimpleXML, sockets, SPL, standard, Reflection, posix, mysqli, mysql, json, iconv, hash, gd, ftp, filter, date, curl, ctype, calendar, bcmath, zlib, cgi, homeloader, PDO, pdo_sqlite, SQLite, ionCube Loader, Zend Optimizer
Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 22, 2008 - 7:54 PM:

./temp/wsnlinks/admin/ would be an incorrect path, the correct path is ../temp/wsnlinks/admin/, with two dots... but the code doesn't have your one dot version, it has two dots, so I can't imagine how you can get one.
hai
Forum Regular

hai
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 25, 2008 - 9:48 AM:

I have no idea how or why that could have happened. I know that I changed some templates to make some small customizations but nothing that would mess with your code in that way. I've asked my host if he can think of any problem or server issue that might be causing it but I'm not holding any hope on getting an answer to that one or a resolution. Do you think if I tried a manual install again with the latest version, it might overwrite whatever is causing this?
hai
Forum Regular

hai
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jan 25, 2008 - 3:01 PM:

mrkarron (and Paul),

These are the entironmental stats for the server I'm having trouble with:

Apache/2.0.50 (Fedora)
PHP 4.3.10 with zend engine 1.3.0
Loaded PHP Extensions: yp, xml, wddx, tokenizer, sysvshm, sysvsem, standard, sockets, shmop, session, pspell, posix, pcre, overload, iconv, gmp, gettext, gd, ftp, exif, dio, dbx, dba, curl, ctype, calendar, bz2, bcmath, zlib, openssl, apache2handler, domxml, imap, ldap, mbstring, mysql, odbc, pgsql, snmp, xmlrpc

It looks like the only things we have in common are the following php extensions:

xml, tokenizer, session, pcre, iconv, sockets, standard, curl, ctype, calendar, bcmath, zlib, gd, ftp, posix, mysql

Anyone got any ideas if ANY of those could be the misbehaving component? I am simply not that technical. Wish I was, especially at times like this.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.