Thinking of using this software

Comments on Thinking of using this software

Goggalor
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 1
Total Comments: 4
Posted Nov 25, 2007 - 2:03 PM:

Hi I am seriously considering your forum software. It seems to have a load of features I like and some I don't notice but might be there anyway had I noticed them. LOL

Anyway, I run several sites and am using wowbb software. I like the wowbb allot. I find the template system extremely easy to modify, customize and all that good stuff and Have my own wowbb skin site where I learned to make some skins.

My third site I had one wowbb board there, but it wouldn't work with the server. Turns out the server stinks anyway. They insisted it's the software but it's not. They suggested I use what they support - phpbb. So I installed it.
Went to upgrade, it's dead. I screwed it up. StartLogic refuses to help me. I killed it and am going to close the whole site.

I would rather not go for another wowbb license and find different software and so far your stuff looks great.

Now my question is this:

wowbb uses an extraordinarily easy to edit system for the themes.
Unlike phpbb, smf and others, each theme has a main template. This main template 'talks' (sorry, I am no coder!) to the rest of the software to make it work. You can edit the whole of the theme here as to the size of the icons, borders and tables.

Then it has the css - style sheet - where you can edit the font, colors and a few other things.

wow is going to be uprading (pftt) to an all css theme/template system I do NOT like this idea. So I am looking to switch.

Anyway, what is the ease of use for those who are not coders? Those who can't write code? Make their own mods and all that good stuff?

I do not know how to make code for wowbb but other theme makers and myself help each other and we manage. It's like languages. I understand and can read some Italian, but I can't speak it or format sentences on paper.
Meaning I recognize and understand what I'm looking at on the main templates of wowbb but I cannot hard code a theme for myself from scratch.

How user friendly are your themes? Do you encourage license holders to make themes?
What about the license holder help system? Friendly and helpful or combative and competitive?

I'll be delving into your forums here much more too.

What about your trial version? How chopped down is this. Should I go and install this for a spin? Will I be able to fiddle with theme customization there?
I realize trial versions are not the full version and fully expect that. I just would like to know the restrictions on things like avatars, themes, emoticons etc.

I tried the admin panel demo but it won't work for me. Yes I tried the 'won't work link' to no avail too.
Goggalor
Beginner

Posted Nov 25, 2007 - 8:29 PM:

OK after looking around here today I am now 99% convinced on purchasing a license.

I realize you do not offer support for the trial/free version but maybe you can help with just one question?

I'm attaching an image. I took the trial version so i can get a better feel of this software. It installed fine but there are some issues I'm sure some are mine and some not.

First is the language errors coming in.

I got this at the top of the forum on the final installation page:

Warning: ftp_rename(): Sorry, but that file doesn't exist in /home/tkpetpro/public_html/wsn/setup.php on line 415

Then when i go to the admin panel, it looks ok although I have not mucked about in there yet.

I log out and go to the forums and this attached image is what I see.

If I try to navigate to the folder to this preview forum I get a 404 error page.

If i try to go to the example forum, again 404 error page.

So i started (i'm sure you're going to call me a fool next LOL) setting all the permissions as per the readme file. all of them were pretty much as instructed. the install took care of it.

So stupid me, I set them ALL but the config to 777 to see if that would help. NOPE.

I tried changing the htaccess.txt to .htaccess. Nothing changed, didn't expect it to anyway. Put it back as it was to htaccess.txt

now If i try to navigate to my test forum here by this link www.tkpetpros.com/wsn you can see the 404 error

If I navigate using www.tkpetpros.com/wsn/index.php i get to the board, language weirdness and all. (see pic)

Is this the norm for the test? I doubt it. Did I miss something in the installation? Seemed pretty easy to me.

Attached Files:
Goggalor
Beginner

Posted Nov 27, 2007 - 1:02 PM:

Hmm seems no one wants to help. Can you / anyone just tell me if there is a bug in the free version I need to know about?

I totally deleted it and reinstalled from scratch and I still get the same image.

I cannot afford to buy the license just to try it for 25 days and make my decision that way. I just don't have that kind of money to spare especially this time of year.

I really like the features and what not but I cannot get a true feel for this [what looks like a] great software with the way it installed.

I understand that you don't support the trial version but is there any kind of support just to get it installed properly to try it out? If not, then I will definately stop asking.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Nov 27, 2007 - 9:06 PM:

What about your trial version? How chopped down is this. Should I go and install this for a spin? Will I be able to fiddle with theme customization there?
I realize trial versions are not the full version and fully expect that. I just would like to know the restrictions on things like avatars, themes, emoticons etc.

There are no restrictions on any of those things in the free version. As for friendliness, that's a subjective matter.

Your screenshot shows you have a multilingual install using english-only language. I see the problem is that the free version isn't showing the language options on installation. I'll have a fixed copy out within the hour. [Edit: done]

Inability to see an index.php without typing out index.php indicates either the existence of a dummy index.html or a problem with apache configuration for which you need to consult your host.
Goggalor
Beginner

Posted Nov 28, 2007 - 2:50 PM:

OH! Thank you Paul! I'll take out the old trial and put up the new one in there now.

As for the apache stuff and my host.... pffft. I shant hold my breath. It's probably the apache stuff and not an index file. It's a clean install in a clean folder with a new db.

Because of them I had to trash my forums anyway and I decided after a full year of garbage with them I am trashing the whole site and starting anew with new name, look and everything. For now, they're good enough to use as an experiment for new software prospects for the forums.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.