Jez
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 32
Total Comments: 130
Jez
Posted Nov 12, 2007 - 11:28 AM:

Hi,

My site, as you may remember is very slow to load due to the amount of categories listed on the page. Would using the Generate HTML option help at all? It is only the main page www.accommodation-uk.net which is critically slow at about 15 seconds to fully load - but even the sub categories are around 8 seconds. I welcome your suggestions.

Jez
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Nov 12, 2007 - 11:51 AM:

Hi Jez

Actually it is extremely quick for me! In fact, far quicker than any of my sites! It must've loaded in about a second!

Jill
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Nov 12, 2007 - 1:14 PM:

Hi Jill, that should have been www.accommodation-uk.net/wsn i am afraid sad I am in the process of swapping the scripts and since I posted I have swapped it back to the wsn folder as there's now something else I forgot to do!

Jez
peumus
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 172
Total Comments: 462
peumus
Posted Nov 12, 2007 - 8:21 PM:

Hello Jez,

For shure Generate Html would help a lot.

But also you can try before generating html, to enable the cache system stating that
generate cache for Guests and that
A page cache will update on average every 1000 views, and will always update when more than 24 hours old.

Best Regards
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Nov 12, 2007 - 8:28 PM:

Use the cache system at Admin -> Settings -> General. Plain HTML raises a lot of issues, I strongly recommend against using it to actually run a site (the only potential use is for distributing an offline copy, really).

I think the sheer amount of HTML in your category selector is affecting load times too. You might want to remove it from your wrapper template. Also your main page has more commented-out text than showing text I think, and all that hidden stuff slows processing. Like:
<!--IF 1><br />One of the most majestic county’s in England is Inverness-shire. Some of the England’s greatest battles were fought in the county, and Shakespeare’s Macbeth was also based on the various characters around town. With all of the accommodations that are available in the area, it comes as no surprise to many that there are also various places to stay. 
<br />
<br />Trying to locate the right place to stay while on holiday in the area is not difficult to do. There are places such as the West End Guest House, which is a holiday house that is preferred by those that visit the area. For those that may be looking for pet friendly and child friendly accommodation, a location such as the Craigerne House Hotel is another great location that many tourists will turn to for their holiday needs.
<br />
<br />Inverness-Shire Fact: Inverness-shire is ranked as being the largest landmass in the Scotland area.
<br />
<br />Editor’s Pick: The Columbia Hotel in Inverness-shire is close to many of the local shopping and tourist attractions. This hotel is well received by the tourists that stay there, as there are many special accommodations that the hotel gives to its customers, such as free continental breakfast.</IF-->

If you have your browser save the page as HTML, you can see that just the HTML -- even before the stylesheet, images, javascript and all that are called in -- is 213KB. A dialup modem user can never visit your site even if the script generated it instantly, because it takes them several minutes to download the page. You need to cut down your HTML. (Though mod gzip may help this a bit.)
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Nov 13, 2007 - 3:37 AM:

Hi paul,

That's interesting, I hadn't notoced that ALL of the category descriptions were shown on the main page code. How can I get rid of it but keep the description for the individual category pages?
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Nov 13, 2007 - 3:38 AM:

peumus wrote:
Hello Jez,

For shure Generate Html would help a lot.

But also you can try before generating html, to enable the cache system stating that
generate cache for Guests and that
A page cache will update on average every 1000 views, and will always update when more than 24 hours old.

Best Regards

Thanks peumus, I'll give that a try

Jez.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 1:54 AM:

Jez wrote:
How can I get rid of it but keep the description for the individual category pages?

Remove it from the main index template but not from the display links in category template. I don't see what the point of having something there that you've commented out is no matter where it is though. What good is having invisible text?
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 3:56 PM:

Thanks. The caching works a treat and I have cleaned out some of the superflous stuff as well. The site now loads quite fast even without the caching

I have a new problem in as much as I have moved the site from a sub folder to the main directory and I am getting errors, see http://www.accommodation-uk.net/

I am also pretty sure that the .htaccess is not correct either as it still mentions the old folder - I attach.

I edited the config.php file to reflect the folder change. Any ideas please?

Attached Files:
Paul
developer

Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Nov 14, 2007 - 7:42 PM:

Check your file path to your attachments directory at Admin -> Settings -> System. It looks like you have have left off the trailing slash.

As for the .htaccess, go to Admin -> Settings -> SEO and resubmit the page to get it regenerated. If for some reason you're writing a manual .htaccess you'll have to change the rewritebase from /wsn/ to /.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.