Jez
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 32
Total Comments: 130
Jez
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 1:12 AM:

Hi,

During my search through all of the categories to remove the hyphens in the category names I started to notice towards the last few that the sub categories after being edited for the hyphens were showing up as top level categories and not sub categories. In one instance I noticed it was of a similar problem to the hyphen issue but with "&" for some reason that category got called "30" instead of /wsn/somerset-&-avon/ and after changing the "&" to "and" the category was then wsn/somerset-and-avon/ and not /wsn/30. Ok no problems, I could get my head around that with little problem, just a matter of moving the wrong now top level categories back into the main category where they should be.

And then, I can't select the correct category to move them to in the drop down menu in the admin area.

If you look at www.accommodation-uk.net/ws...suggest.php?action=addlink the category selector only goes as far as worcester and does not list any of the Worcester sub categories and if you look at the category selector at the bottom of the page it only goes as far as the Shetland Isles and its sub categories. In the admin menu version it also only goes as far as the Shetland Isles also.

Is there some setting to make them list all?

Sorry this is s a bit long winded!

Jez.
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 3:13 AM:

Have you regenerated? After changing category names or moving them I always regenerate

Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 3:29 AM:

Yes, I did regenerate. No Change though sad
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 4:29 AM:

oh.

I've just seen you have an older version. Perhaps it is worth upgrading? I think the latest is 4.0.40?

Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 8:28 AM:

I had already enquired to Paul for the cost to upgrade to the full version from simple. But will it fix this problem, Paul?
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 8:42 AM:

Jez wrote:
I had already enquired to Paul for the cost to upgrade to the full version from simple. But will it fix this problem, Paul?

It won't cost you anything to upgrade within the 4.0 series.

I have been upgrading my sites and working with the 4.1 series, and feel it's really well worth it.

OOps, sorry, just seen you are on a simple version! I don't know about the latest upgrades on that.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 12:18 PM:

Ampersand rewriting wasn't introduced until the 4.1 series, so anything with an ampersand falls back to numeric rewriting.

does not list any of the Worcester sub categories

Then what are these?

Maybe you're talking about sub-sub or sub-sub-sub... the levels of the category selector are set at Admin -> Settings -> General. You may have too many to list though and would then need to switch off the selector.

Attached Files:
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Oct 08, 2007 - 1:03 PM:

Yeah, you are right! That was a bad example!! smiling face I should have pointed you to the category selector at the bottom of that page as that represents what I see in the admin the last one is Shetland Isles > Ulsta>

I just checked to see if there is any reason that it has > after Ulsta (a typo or something but I can't see anything wrong with it)
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
Posted Oct 09, 2007 - 6:10 AM:

Well upgrading did not work sad I still have the problem with the drop down menu not listing all cats and sub cats.

I have now lots and lots of new errors to deal with! smiling face

I attached a screen shot of the errors from the upgrade view.

Attached Files:
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 09, 2007 - 2:44 PM:

Paul, any ideas with this category selector problem? I just found another main category with an illegal character (a "/" in the text) and hoped that might fix the problem after regenerating, but it actually got worse - the selector (and the selector I see in admin) actually shows less categories now!

Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 10, 2007 - 6:21 AM:

The image says your FTP info is incorrect. Correct it at admin -> settings -> system.

That's not related to the selector though. How many levels do you have set at admin -> settings -> general and how many total categrories do you have?
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 10, 2007 - 6:40 AM:

It's set to 3 levels and there are 1358 categories in total.

Thanks for the FTP info - hopefully it's fixed now ( I must have changed the FTP password at some point).

Paul
developer

Paul
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 11, 2007 - 11:27 AM:

1358 is more than I would expect to work -- of course also more than I would expect a user to be willing to scroll through. I'd suggest switching off the selector.
Jez
Forum Regular

Jez
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 11, 2007 - 11:56 AM:

I don't mind switching it off but the problem is not just the selector that the visitor can see - I can't sort the categories as I can't select some of the later ones.

Due to an earlier error some sub categories are now main categories and I need to move them back. Is there another way to do this without using the category selector in admin?
Paul
developer

Paul
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Oct 12, 2007 - 6:48 AM:

I don't know what you mean by not being able to sort, I can't think of any sorting option that involves a list of categories. Unless you're setting priority manually for each on bulk edit categories, but that doesn't depend on the selector either.

Due to an earlier error some sub categories are now main categories and I need to move them back. Is there another way to do this without using the category selector in admin?

You should be seeing this: http://www.webmastersite.net/screenshots/1545.jpg . Change 0 to the correct parent number.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.