Comments on Feature suggestions

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Sep 16, 2007 - 12:14 AM:

What would you like to see in a classifieds script, beyond what's in the other WSN scripts?
Kent

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 5
Total Comments: 11
Kent
Posted Sep 28, 2007 - 2:49 PM:

I recently sent this suggestion to you in e-mail but I thought I would register with this forum and list it here also.

Anyway, I think one of the most important improvements you could make assuming it's not already implemented, is to allow the administrator to add fields that will be customized to categories.

An example would be having customize fields for a house for sale that are much different than those fields that would be for a dog for sale. The House would have fields for things like bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. while the dog for sale would have breed, age, etc. Going further you see that automobiles would have their own fields also.

If you already have this functionality, please tell me but I could not see that you do have it yet.

What this offers is various things: a better user experience for those who submit ads, a more complete classified advertisement since many users forget various information to include, a better user experience for those that might be interested in purchasing these advertised items because of having more complete information in an organized way, a possible chance for more content for the website owner that helps get natural traffic easier... it also has the ability to present information in a more orderly way for all users, .... there might be other benefits I'm not seing right now but I think those are enough.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 28, 2007 - 9:32 PM:

Making something specific to a category just means using template conditionals to limit it to the category. I'm not sure if there's any way to simplify that but I'll think it over.

Suggestions from myself:
- include address fields and geocoded lat/long along with google or yahoo map ready for embedding. make this all fall under an "address" switch so that those not wanting it can deactivate easily.
- try to include zip code miles from range finder (also as switch since only valuable to americans)
peumus
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 172
Total Comments: 462
peumus
Posted Sep 29, 2007 - 8:58 PM:

Category customizable fields can be achieved the following way:

1) We create category variables:
var1name
var2name
var3name
We edit each category with the corresponding name for their variables.
2) We create the same number of link variables:
var1
var2
var3
When we submit/edit each link we'll ask for:
Please enter the {CATVAR1NAME} variable: {LINKVAR1}
Please enter the {CATVAR2NAME} variable: {LINKVAR2}
Please enter the {CATVAR3NAME} variable: {LINKVAR3}

3) At variables we can also create the following variables:
listvar1
listvar2
listvar3
These in order to select if each category variable will be preseted on the link listings or not.

We could also specify what variables will be required or not, by specifying the first ones to be required and the rest not, but if a category does not required all the first specified, the not required should be auto-filled on way to be identified not to be listed and not requested to be filled.
Kent

Kent
Posted Sep 29, 2007 - 10:29 PM:

Paul wrote:
Making something specific to a category just means using template conditionals to limit it to the category. I'm not sure if there's any way to simplify that but I'll think it over.

I am very glad to know that this can be done. Since I am new to the script, I really did not know it was possible.

Now that I know it is possible, I expect that I will be able to figure it out may be on my own or with a little informative assistance. However, I do know that there are many that would not be as patient and technically inclined to figure it out as I might be. I guess I am saying this because I don't think the feature is readily understood to be available and easily doable.
Kent

Kent
Posted Sep 29, 2007 - 10:35 PM:

peumus wrote:
Category customizable fields can be achieved the following way:

1) We create category variables:
var1name
var2name
var3name
We edit each category with the corresponding name for their variables.
2) We create the same number of link variables:
var1
var2
var3
When we submit/edit each link we'll ask for:
Please enter the {CATVAR1NAME} variable: {LINKVAR1}
Please enter the {CATVAR2NAME} variable: {LINKVAR2}
Please enter the {CATVAR3NAME} variable: {LINKVAR3}

3) At variables we can also create the following variables:
listvar1
listvar2
listvar3
These in order to select if each category variable will be preseted on the link listings or not.

We could also specify what variables will be required or not, by specifying the first ones to be required and the rest not, but if a category does not required all the first specified, the not required should be auto-filled on way to be identified not to be listed and not requested to be filled.

I am not sure I totally understand what you're saying. I will have to look more at the Admin area to understand what you're saying.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 30, 2007 - 12:46 AM:

The way I do is just
<IF {CATID} is x>
field stuff
</IF>
on the suggest and edit templates and display templates.

Making it automatic so that the conditionals don't have to be typed is easy enough for suggest/edit, but I don't see how to automate the display.
peumus
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 172
Total Comments: 462
peumus
Posted Oct 29, 2007 - 11:45 PM:

Paul,

- Regarding your comment, my suggestion works fine and it has the benefit for admin of not editing the template but entering the data for the pre-available variables at the category.

- Also I'm thinking on allowing a link sponsorship that allows a member to post his link at the main page for a period of time. This in parallel to the use of sponsorship for presenting links with priority at the links listing inside the category.

At the moment I do believe it can not be done with the available sponsorship features as there's only one sponsorship alternative to buy for a link. Would it be possible to develope more than one sponsorship alternative for a link ? So a user can buy more than one for his link. Each sponsorship to have it's own expire date/funds, etc.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.