Comments on setting up reciprocal links

dstaton
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 3
Total Comments: 9
dstaton
Posted Jun 10, 2006 - 7:08 AM:

I don't know why this is so confusing for me, but I give up trying to figure it out.

All I want is the ability to let some categories be regular with optional reciprocal, and other categories to be ONLY reciprocal.

So far, I've been able to have just regular, but when I try to limit a category to reciprocal only, all it does it make reciprocal the first choice - not the ONLY choice.

Can you please provide step by step instructions to do this? When I clicked the help, all it shows is how to add a "special" category. A assume since the admin menu is full of reciprocal references, this is already part of the template.

thanks for your help
dstaton
Beginner

dstaton
Posted Jun 10, 2006 - 9:29 PM:

In the absence of help here, I've been continuing to trial and error my way around.

I can't even get reciprocal links only to work.

I checked "yes" for Check for reciprocal link on submission? and "no" for Link types.

Why does it still allow people to enter their listing without providing a valid reciprocal link?
babrees
Expert

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Jun 12, 2006 - 3:24 AM:

dstaton wrote:
I checked "yes" for Check for reciprocal link on submission? and "no" for Link types.

Why does it still allow people to enter their listing without providing a valid reciprocal link?

If you select "no" for link types then it only allows one type, which is the regular (being the first type listed). It only checks for a reciprocal link on the recip type.

The only way I can think of to solve your original problem is to have custom templates for those categories where you require only reciprocal links. But perhaps somebody else can come up with a different method.
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jun 12, 2006 - 12:23 PM:

Or if you have the category selector off so they can't change the category just use conditionals <IF {CATID} is 5>selector for the types you want available in category 5 <ELSE IF {CATID} is 6>html for cat 6 <ELSE> stuff for the rest of the categories</IF>
dstaton
Beginner

dstaton
Posted Jun 12, 2006 - 6:55 PM:

Thanks babrees and Paul...

babrees wrote:

If you select "no" for link types then it only allows one type, which is the regular (being the first type listed).

That gave me the idea to select 'no' for link types and then remove the "regular" links, which makes "recip" the only type. Didn't work. shaking head

I actually want to make the whole directory reciprocal only. How would I go about doing that?

dstaton
Beginner

dstaton
Posted Jun 12, 2006 - 7:27 PM:

Interestingly, I set link types to "on" and have recip as the only choice, it tells people they have to have a recip link.

However, If I set it to "off" and still only have recip as an option, it lets the unreciprocated link go off to be approved.

I bet there is a better way to only allow reciprocal links besides having a drop-down choice that only has one choice.

babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Jun 13, 2006 - 1:08 AM:

dstaton wrote:
I bet there is a better way to only allow reciprocal links besides having a drop-down choice that only has one choice.

Yes, that's easy for the whole directory - in the suggestlink template simply make the field "type" hidden with a value of recip

dstaton
Beginner

dstaton
Posted Jun 13, 2006 - 5:02 AM:

Thanks babrees, although I don't know how to follow your directions.

Is this the code you're talking about:

<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">{LANG_SUGGESTLINK_TYPEOFLINK}:</span></td>
<td class="optionscolumn"><select name="type">{TYPEOPTIONS}</select></td>
</tr>

If so, how do I edit it?

Also, will I still be able to put in links as admin that are NOT reciprocal?

thanks for you help.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Jun 13, 2006 - 9:20 AM:

dstaton wrote:
Thanks babrees, although I don't know how to follow your directions.
Is this the code you're talking about:

<tr>
<td class="labelscolumn"><span class="labels">{LANG_SUGGESTLINK_TYPEOFLINK}:</span></td>
</tr>

If so, how do I edit it?

Also, will I still be able to put in links as admin that are NOT reciprocal?

thanks for you help.

aha! I see you are using multilingual - have to admit I have never used them as my sites are all just English. However, it should be the same, although perhaps Paul can confirm when he next comes on.

Yes, that is the section you need to deal with.

However, if you still want admin to be able to add non-reciprocal links then I would keep to the default link types and do a condition around the type field. Replace the above code with:

<IF {THISMEMBERISADMIN}>

<tr>
</tr>

<OTHERWISE>

<input type="hidden" name="type" value="recip">

</IF>
dstaton
Beginner

dstaton
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Jun 13, 2006 - 11:06 AM:

that did it!

thanks babrees
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.