Comments on Page Rank feature dead

Nicky32

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 32
Nicky32
#16 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 24, 2006 - 7:05 AM:

www.huebit.ws - is no longer functional - This domain may be for sale by its owner!

At least it's easy to remove - just change Switches->Google Pagerank to no
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
#17 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 24, 2006 - 8:29 PM:

gemini wrote:
Google never provided any ability to query PR with third party tools - all the tools available out there are results of reversed engineering and mine is not an exception.

That would mean they're all illegal, so there's no point in supporting them as they'll just get closed down by google as this one probably did. However, at least one such tool that comes up in google states that it obeys Google's TOS by requiring users to get their own key from google, and I have heard elsewhere how google requires registering with them in order to do automated activities through them.
xtree

Total Topics: 19
Total Comments: 50
xtree
#18 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 31, 2006 - 5:57 AM:

Whats the conclusion here? Should we still expect a Google PR tool? - noticed that other directory scritps seem to use one with no problem.
mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
#19 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 31, 2006 - 6:37 AM:

I remember when Google first started preventing (or at least not wanting) automated quries, here's the WW thread

It originally started as automated search queries to Google, but it applies to all automated queries (including PR I would suppose)

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/28417.htm

Notice that GoogleGuy chimed in a few times, summary
GoogleGuy wrote:
Recently, we've started to improve the software, and it can also detect lots of things like rank checking and other automatic queries to Google. Of course, we don't show the message to everybody that comes onto our radar, but our new software looks pretty good at detecting programmatic queries. If you're using WebPosition or other software that sends queries to Google from a program, I'm not surprised if you're going over a threshold where your queries are on the radar.

If you do see this message, I would recommend not sending so many queries to Google--the volume or type of queries are unusual enough that it's attracting greater scrutiny from us. If you avoid sending queries to Google from a program, you'll be as right as rain.
And later on
GoogleGuy wrote:
Personally, I don't see a problem with using the Web API to check rankings for your own sites--just don't sell that tool/service. smiling face

Paul
developer

Paul
#20 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 01, 2006 - 8:04 PM:

Should we still expect a Google PR tool?

No, that's why it was removed a version or two ago. You're free to insert one though.
Paul
developer

Paul
#21 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 03, 2006 - 2:06 AM:

Update: I found a public domain PR checker and will include it (will offer ability to sort by pagerank too), until google tells me not to.
ModemGuru

Total Topics: 8
Total Comments: 50
#22 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 10, 2006 - 3:00 AM:

Paul wrote:
Update: I found a public domain PR checker and will include it (will offer ability to sort by pagerank too), until google tells me not to.

Quick question on this: Will this be included in 3.3.13 when it is released? (or is it in 3.3.12, just not finding it?)
Paul
developer

Paul
#23 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Apr 10, 2006 - 4:52 AM:

No, I will not be introducing any more bugs to the 3.3.x series. Thus if you're looking for something in the near future you should find something like checkpagerank.com to use.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.