hacker was able to overwrite index.php

Comments on index.php was hacked

Marcos Avila
Beginner

Usergroup: Member

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 5
Posted Mar 08, 2006 - 3:56 AM:

I just entered my WSNLinks page on the site and found that 2 days ago a hacker was able to overwrite the index.php file, leaving a simple defacement message with his "signature" in place of the index page.

I checked my server logs and there was no unusual activity at the time of the hack. Could he have done it through the script itself?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Mar 08, 2006 - 11:58 AM:

There is a known exploit in versions prior to 3.3.7 which allows a hacker to upload arbitrary files including PHP files which they can use as an interface to write to other files that are chmoded to allow writing. This doesn't give them access to index.php unless you chmod it to 666, but it seems more likely you're misstating the location and it was actually a template which the hacker overwrote.

All customers were told to apply the fix in late February. The basic edition has not yet been updated (non-customers always falling low on my priorities), but you can protect yourself meanwhile by making sure you have no directories chmoded to 777 (meaning attachments will not work).
Nicky32

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 12
Total Comments: 32
Nicky32
Posted Mar 10, 2006 - 12:31 AM:

I just got hacked also, what was your index.php changed to?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Mar 14, 2006 - 6:34 PM:

3.3.9B is now available. Everyone should upgrade to it for security, and check your /attachments/ directory first to see if there are any php files in it (if so, you've already been hacked).
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.