Comments on Allowed memory size exhausted

babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 3:37 AM:

OK I launched the site this morning and have had 436 unique visitors alreadysmiling face. Seems to be going ok with registrations BUT...

I have a premium (sponsored) link to validate and I went to look at the submission via EDIT and I get the allowed memory size exhausted error page. At the time of trying there were only 4 people visiting and nothing else happening.

I don't have many categories or links at the moment.

It also tells me there are TWO items awaiting validation when there is only One. I have regenerated counters to no avail.

barrykilby

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 48
Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 4:56 AM:

if you have access to is you can change the max memory in php.ini but makesure you dont change it too high or even better read up on it first. As best i am aware this is like when your home pc says it cannot run a program as it is out of memory. a simple gracefull restart of a few services (httpd, mysql) may also solve the problem in my experence. If you dont have access to do these things you may want to talk to your hosting provider or possibly try doing less at the same time?

or possibly see if there is anything paul can suggest.. its not unlike your other issue
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 7:23 AM:

Thanks Barry. I couldn't actually find a file called php.ini so doubt that I have access to it. But I am not confident enough to alter php anyway :-(

The thing is I wasn't doing anything else at the time, so it's not as if I can do less <G>

I validated the link for them without previewing it, but once it was showing I realised they hadn't entered the url of their site so it wasn't linking!!!!!!!!!

Tried again from the front end to edit it but still get error page. This link has a graphic attached and I am wondering if it is because of that.

OK, there are some weird things going on now. I just thought I would check another link that also has a graphic - it was working fine yesterday, including being able to edit it. Today it has disappeared from the category (although cat is showing 2 links only 1 showing).

Did a search for it in the admin panel and it came up - tried to edit it and get the error message.

OK, another link with a graphic has also disappeared.

HELP! Jeez this has to happen after I've gone "live" shaking head

barrykilby

Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 8:06 AM:

that may well be it... what you are trying to "post"/validate is too large for the limit imposed via php (php.ini is the config file for php) you could try asking your host to up the limit (they prob wont) or requre smaller images (file size that is) to be posted..
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 8:40 AM:

Ok, have played around a bit more and cannot edit any links now, not even small ones with no graphics.

Been speaking with my host who has also been around my site. Looking at the stats he says that it is very hungry and he is definitely not keen for me to use it on my other sites :-(

Using my log in my host chappie found he COULD edit the link. I tried and I still couldn't. He tried a few other things and then went back to edit the link and found he couldn't edit anymore.

Trying to edit a small link with no graphic I get the error message: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 29344 bytes) in /var/www/html/links/end.php on line 211

My host says that to him that sounds as though it is not a server problem as the allocated figure is nowhere near the memory size.

I have always thought the links to be rather slow on my site. My server is 1.7 processor with 1 gig ram. What type of server and how powerful are others running their wsn on?

Paul - What type of server do you use? Are all your sites on the same server?

barrykilby

Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 9:39 AM:

i may well be wrong about this but i beleave that means it is trying to allocate 29344 bytes more than the limit of 8388608.. i think this may be a issue for paul to take a look at... as far as i am aware line 211 is to do with forming the template into the page you see:

210 else
211 $totalpage = str_replace('<!-- BODY GOES HERE -->', $template->text, $header->text);
212 }
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Dec 01, 2005 - 9:48 AM:

Thanks Barry! My host took it to mean that it was only trying to allocate 29344 bytes!

Nevertheless I may still have to look for an additional host as he is unwilling to have me use this on more sites as it is so hungry :-(

Any suggestions for hosts more than welcome! I see Paul mentioned Spenis to somebody else and I'm currently looking into them.

I must resolve the problem of not being able to edit the link quickly as my client has paid!
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Dec 03, 2005 - 12:19 AM:

See reply at https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/thread/5858 for memory reduction.

8388608 is a standard max memory size. My local WSN Links install uses around 7000000 on most pages, 7.6 meg on the edit page. So, you're using noticably more than the standard memory on the edit page.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.