Large WSN:L baised sites
speed tips

Comments on Large WSN:L baised sites

barrykilby

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 7
Total Comments: 48
Posted Sep 12, 2005 - 7:48 PM:

Im hoping either paul or some of you other guys will be able to help me out here, I have approx 700-800 cats and about 5000 links (will be upto about 9-10k shortly and probably a lot more cats too) and i am really starting to get some speed problems. confused

The site is on one of my dedicated servers with ample spec latest php + mysql with query caching on (prob saying its windows helps too) sticking out tongue

I have also modified wsn:l a bit with jpcache to keep a compiled copy to hand (recently) but some times the site is just slow as a dog. Not all the pages you understand just some of them some of the time as if completely by random?! (i think) rolling eyes

In worst case pages take from 74.4 Sec to a whopping 1093.0 Secs, needless to say i have stripped out catoptions etc and showing about 10 links per page (av about 74k per page) so i feel things are pretty slink. (those timings where taken from localhost on the server so there is no Internet to bugger things up)

The only few things that spring to mind is the database if memory serves has been upgraded all the way from 2.53 or was it 51? either way its old, is it possible that a key or something is missing from the row that is making things take forever to search for or something like that?

Failing that, the template files, could they be the problem using outdated options?

i cannot really think of much more to do.. the db is optimized etc no problem rows... performance hindering switches are turned off.
mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Sep 12, 2005 - 8:11 PM:

Several people with active sites have noticed this

https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/thread/5081

To illustrate, look at top (or the area in windows where you look at processes) while opening up several pages in your site.

If you have many unique visitors browsing at the same time then things will simply get bogged down.

You can either throw hardware at it, turn off features and toplists, or replace a lot of dynamic stuff with static html.

barrykilby

Posted Sep 12, 2005 - 8:16 PM:

im just taking a peek though that now, im just going to turn on the debug and see if we can spot anything intresting
barrykilby

Posted Sep 12, 2005 - 8:26 PM:

just ran one or two tests.. but im still not sure why things are taking so long? seting the ccookie?

Load time so far: 0.7 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,title,url,description,rating,votes,recip,validated,recipurl,catid,sumofvotes,email,time,hits,numcomments,hide,ownerid,hitsin,voterips,voterids,lastedit,type,filename,filetitle,notify,suspect,downloads,pendingedit,funds,suspended,alias,expire,ip,inalbum,typeorder,recipwith,hitsinips,hitsoutips,lastcomment,related,inhidden,viewers,threadviewers,hitsintemp,hitsouttemp,origtype,importance,parentids,timesdead,timesemailed,threadclosed,threadposters,longdescription,xwidth,yheight,lastposterid,lastpostername,ownername,deleted,deletionreason,movedto,deletedby,timevalidated,filefield,scriptlang,price,workswith FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=40 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ORDER BY typeorder ASC,rating ASC,rand() LIMIT 28,14;

Setting cookie with name returnto, value index.php?action=displaycat&catid=40 and duration 1126575204

Load time so far: 2.53 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,memberid,location,time,ip,browser,starttime,catid,threadid,areaname,lastsearch,nopermission,inchat FROM wsnlinks_sessions WHERE time > 1126573405 AND (catid=40 AND memberid>0) ORDER BY time DESC LIMIT 0,100;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #62

20 total queries
This page was created in 9.28 seconds closing database connection
barrykilby

Posted Sep 12, 2005 - 9:57 PM:

i have tweaked a few settings and things seem a lot faster now.. i think jpcache is helping a fairbit too
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Sep 13, 2005 - 6:31 PM:

1 level in the sitemap and category selector, I would hope?

seting the ccookie?

Cookies are of course instant. You have a toplist there that takes a couple secs.
barrykilby

Posted Sep 14, 2005 - 5:18 AM:

the only thing on the main pages is the normal reg links, menu and a ad include.. i'll recheck though make sure nothing has crept in there
barrykilby

Posted Sep 15, 2005 - 8:16 AM:

no nothing.. i have re-entered some of the settings and played with the template a bit and optimized the cache time and things seme a lot better.. still a bit slow going into edit link pages and validating links but least its only me that sees them.

i suppose it can only be expected now we have 12k links :/
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Sep 15, 2005 - 9:51 PM:

12,000 seemed perfectly fast on my last test, though that's with no traffic. Meanwhile I have 280,000 posts and 15,000 threads (threads equate with links) at philosophyforums.com and it's normally only 1-3 secs to load a page -- though it slows down at peak traffic times. WSN Forum shares most of the same code as links 3.2x.

You might consider using the load limiting options to prevent spiders from bogging down the site: scripts.webmastersite.net/w...nks/wsnmanual/articles/296
barrykilby

#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 15, 2005 - 10:03 PM:

the server it's self seems fine.. load is neglageable. i run a number of other mambo and worpress even some wiki media sites and thay appear almost instantly but they do not have the same bulk of database infomation to display as this site does.

here is a particully slow oading page.. see what you make of it:

Load time so far: 0.58 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE id=229 ;

Load time so far: 0.58 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE id=104 ;

Load time so far: 0.59 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE id=8 ;

Performing query: LOCK TABLES wsnlinks_email WRITE, wsnlinks_links WRITE, wsnlinks_categories WRITE, wsnlinks_members WRITE;

Performing query: SELECT id,`to`,subject,message,headers,replacement,mime FROM wsnlinks_email WHERE timesent=0 ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 0,10;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #54

Performing query: UNLOCK TABLES;

Setting cookie with name testcookie, value 1 and duration 11126839584

Load time so far: 0.61 seconds.
Performing query: UPDATE wsnlinks_categories SET views='342' WHERE id=229;

Load time so far: 0.62 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE alias=229 ;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #56

Setting cookie with name cathits, value 229 and duration 1126839645

Load time so far: 0.67 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE parent=229 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND isalbum=0 ORDER BY name ASC LIMIT 0,300;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #58

Load time so far: 0.69 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=229 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ;

Count is 19
Performing query: UPDATE wsnlinks_categories SET linkshere='19' WHERE id=229;

Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=229 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND type='regular' ;

Count is 19
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=229 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND type='recip' ;

Count is 0
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=229 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND type='paid' ;

Count is 0
Load time so far: 0.71 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,title,url,description,rating,votes,recip,validated,recipurl,catid,sumofvotes,email,time,hits,numcomments,hide,ownerid,hitsin,voterips,voterids,lastedit,type,filename,filetitle,notify,suspect,downloads,pendingedit,funds,suspended,alias,expire,ip,inalbum,typeorder,recipwith,hitsinips,hitsoutips,lastcomment,related,inhidden,viewers,threadviewers,hitsintemp,hitsouttemp,origtype,importance,parentids,timesdead,timesemailed,threadclosed,threadposters,longdescription,xwidth,yheight,lastposterid,lastpostername,ownername,deleted,deletionreason,movedto,deletedby,timevalidated,filefield,scriptlang,price,workswith FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=229 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ORDER BY typeorder ASC,rating ASC,rand() LIMIT 0,14;

Load time so far: 1.06 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=229 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ;

Count is 19
Load time so far: 1.06 seconds.
Performing query: UPDATE wsnlinks_categories SET linkshere='19' WHERE id=229;

Setting cookie with name returnto, value index.php?action=displaycat&catid=229 and duration 1126840485

Load time so far: 2.43 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,memberid,location,time,ip,browser,starttime,catid,threadid,areaname,lastsearch,nopermission,inchat FROM wsnlinks_sessions WHERE time > 1126838687 AND (catid=229 AND memberid>0) ORDER BY time DESC LIMIT 0,100;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #66

25 total queries

This page was created in 13.55 seconds

closing database connection
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 17, 2005 - 3:08 AM:

In a test, I see it seems to no longer be documented that the 'show subcategories on main page' switch needs to be turned off for large directories.

In your posted case above though you have some toplists that slow things somewhat, but only to the point of 2.5 secs. Almost all the rendering time is coming at the very end, which means either in the echoing of page content (which really makes no sense, it's not an intensive process) or in the online user session update, which does sometimes become slow and might be corrected by a table optimization or the like, but in recent versions it wouldn't show up like that as it's done after the page is actually output to the screen. (I missed wherever you may have mentioned the version number.)
barrykilby

#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 19, 2005 - 4:38 PM:

Paul wrote:
In a test, I see it seems to no longer be documented that the 'show subcategories on main page' switch needs to be turned off for large directories.

you lost me a bit there paul, i have them deleted from the template and turned off in admin

Paul wrote:

In your posted case above though you have some toplists that slow things somewhat, but only to the point of 2.5 secs. Almost all the rendering time is coming at the very end, which means either in the echoing of page content (which really makes no sense, it's not an intensive process) or in the online user session update, which does sometimes become slow and might be corrected by a table optimization or the like,

thats what i thought too but the tables are uptodate, repaired etc and the only place i have ever use toplists is on the homepage to make the latest addtions list everything else is <---Begin Whatever--->

Paul wrote:

but in recent versions it wouldn't show up like that as it's done after the page is actually output to the screen. (I missed wherever you may have mentioned the version number.)

on the very latest version thats out, i normally go for download > copyall files onto server ex templates > copy admin sec templates to folder > run upgrade.php > remove setup and upgrade.php

i think i am going to compare the new displaylinks and main tpl and see what has changed and if i can spot what maybe going on
barrykilby

#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 19, 2005 - 4:50 PM:

ok this is the output from the default displaylinks.tpl from a fresh zip downloaded 5mins ago having just opt the db via admin:

Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE id=726 ;

Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE id=1 ;

Load time so far: 0.72 seconds.
Performing query: LOCK TABLES wsnlinks_email WRITE, wsnlinks_links WRITE, wsnlinks_categories WRITE, wsnlinks_members WRITE;

Performing query: SELECT id,`to`,subject,message,headers,replacement,mime FROM wsnlinks_email WHERE timesent=0 ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 0,10;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #52

Performing query: UNLOCK TABLES;

Setting cookie with name testcookie, value 1 and duration 11127166559

Load time so far: 0.73 seconds.
Performing query: UPDATE wsnlinks_categories SET views='16' WHERE id=726;

Load time so far: 0.73 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE alias=726 ;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #54

Setting cookie with name cathits, value 726 and duration 1127166620

Load time so far: 0.75 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,name,parent,validated,description,time,parentnames,parentids,numlinks,hide,lastlinktime,custom,moderators,lastedit,headerinfo,related,reciprocal,numsub,type,permissions,subscribers,subscriber,mixtypes,isalbum,orderlinks,totalcomments,ulsearchmax,ulsearchquery,ulsearchadult,alias,catcols,linkcols,dmozpath,sponsorlinks,views,customwrap,deleted,reqlinks,reqcoms,reqlinksdelay,priority,levelsdeep,lastposterid,lastpostername,lastcommenttime,lastthreadid,lastthreadtitle,linkshere,unvalidatedlinks,unvalidatedcomments,actaslink,countposts FROM wsnlinks_categories WHERE parent=726 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND isalbum=0 ORDER BY name ASC LIMIT 0,300;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #56

Load time so far: 0.75 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=726 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ;

Count is 75
Load time so far: 0.76 seconds.
Performing query: UPDATE wsnlinks_categories SET linkshere='75' WHERE id=726;

Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=726 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND type='regular' ;

Count is 75
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=726 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND type='recip' ;

Count is 0
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=726 AND validated=1 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND type='paid' ;

Count is 0
Load time so far: 0.77 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,title,url,description,rating,votes,recip,validated,recipurl,catid,sumofvotes,email,time,hits,numcomments,hide,ownerid,hitsin,voterips,voterids,lastedit,type,filename,filetitle,notify,suspect,downloads,pendingedit,funds,suspended,alias,expire,ip,inalbum,typeorder,recipwith,hitsinips,hitsoutips,lastcomment,related,inhidden,viewers,threadviewers,hitsintemp,hitsouttemp,origtype,importance,parentids,timesdead,timesemailed,threadclosed,threadposters,longdescription,xwidth,yheight,lastposterid,lastpostername,ownername,deleted,deletionreason,movedto,deletedby,timevalidated,filefield,scriptlang,price,workswith FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=726 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ORDER BY typeorder ASC,rating ASC,rand() LIMIT 0,14;

Load time so far: 1.07 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT COUNT(id) FROM wsnlinks_links WHERE catid=726 AND hide=0 AND deleted=0 AND validated=1 ;

Count is 75
Load time so far: 1.07 seconds.
Performing query: UPDATE wsnlinks_categories SET linkshere='75' WHERE id=726;

Setting cookie with name returnto, value index.php?action=displaycat&catid=726 and duration 1127167460

Load time so far: 1.45 seconds.
Performing query: SELECT id,memberid,location,time,ip,browser,starttime,catid,threadid,areaname,lastsearch,nopermission,inchat FROM wsnlinks_sessions WHERE time > 1127165661 AND (catid=726 AND memberid>0) ORDER BY time DESC LIMIT 0,100;

Number of rows is 0 for Resource id #64

24 total queries
This page was created in 9.16 seconds

closing database connection

you sure this aint a db problem? rember this was updated and update and update form 2.5x.. would it be handy if i posted the db structure to look at?
Paul
developer

Paul
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 20, 2005 - 3:25 AM:

All the time is being taken up after it's through with the db. The db aspects of the page (in fact most all the rendering of the page) takes 1.45 secs. Somehow, it's taking almost 8 seconds to simply output... a process which takes 0.22 seconds for me. The number of items in the database can't relate to that... the only thing that really could is the total size of the html being output, or maybe some odd server issue.
barrykilby

#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Sep 20, 2005 - 10:41 AM:

i'd be willing to give you access to poke round a bit if you like.. it is a windows 2003 box running on eof the latest version of php and mysql on iis rather then apache so maby it is somethin odd that has crept in. i know you changed to a *nix box a while back did you not?
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.