high traffic web sites

Comments on high traffic web sites

nedjuric
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 4
Total Comments: 5
Posted Jul 11, 2005 - 3:46 PM:

Is there any high traffic web sites that use WSN Links ( like SecurityDocs.com, GameLinks.com and others listed in Showcase) ?
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jul 12, 2005 - 5:32 PM:

You've just named two that appear to have fair alexa ranks (as does this site, actually). "High traffic" however is very subjective.
gemini
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 54
Total Comments: 197
gemini
Posted Jul 28, 2005 - 3:22 PM:

I'm pulling a little over 120K uniques this month - a little slow, but I have shit load of graphics - gotta get rid of some
mrowton
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 57
Total Comments: 185
mrowton
Posted Jul 28, 2005 - 4:47 PM:

gemini wrote:
I'm pulling a little over 120K uniques this month - a little slow, but I have shit load of graphics - gotta get rid of some

looks like you're taking about 2 seconds on the wsnlinks index page with a fairly low load average, thats about what mine used to be.

http://www.ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/index.php?debug=4

I've got my main page load time down to about half a second by having only one toplist which sorted by id descending (there is a mysql index on the index field so this loads pretty fast (correct me if im wrong Paul). Also, my main categories don't change that often so I simply use a static html include for these.

Using the static categories saved me about a second, removing toplist saved me another half second.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Jul 29, 2005 - 1:58 PM:

Good tip. I like the toplists - don't think I can get rid of those smiling face need to play around and see what happens.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Aug 13, 2006 - 4:17 PM:

I used mrowton suggestions and created static includes. It did speed up my home page, but I do have very hard time with dilsplaying links in categories. If you check out some heavy categories like CA, FL and SC - you'll see that load time can be anywhere from 3 to 9 seconds... I can stand 3 seconds, but not more. I have only 1 toplist there right now which is featured areas at the top right, the states on the right are included from static template. Any suggestions to speed up those pages?

Thank you.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 13, 2006 - 8:35 PM:

Reducing the number of links per page always helps.

www.ibsteam.net/wsnlinks/in...displaycat&catid=5&debug=1 indicates an unusually large number of attachment queries for some reason but they don't seem to take much time.

Compare with www.wsnforum.com/linksuserd...isplaycat&catid=10&debug=1 and you can see you've somehow managed to induce three times as many queries per page.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Aug 13, 2006 - 10:31 PM:

Paul, I used attachments as pictures for the listings/links - each listing has an attachment query through the download.php - it's just not every one has it. I actually replaced download.php?id={LINKID} with attachments/{LINKFILETITLE} but it hasn't reduced the load time at all.. plus not all attachments showed up since some time ago I had random attachment names generated.

I also have 4 different types of links and the total number of links limited to 14 on the page... I guess it does not include sponsored ones, but still seams like pretty small number. I guess, I'll have to go through each query and see what I can eliminate.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
Posted Aug 13, 2006 - 10:42 PM:

I changed all the download.php queries to attachments/{LINKFILENAME} - this works fine, but still I have a query for each link to check if the file exists. Not exactly sure which way is faster. It did cut down some queries, but still not much.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 24, 2006 - 8:12 AM:

Paul, I know this is not your concern, but may be you can point me into right direction. My shared host recently kicked me out for CPU overload, so I had to get a dedicated server, which I did. I was fine for a couple of days until yesterday my CPU went to 100% - usually it was staying under 2%. I didn't have any traffic spikes or anything like that. I talked to customer support and they told me that mysql and apache were overloaded. They told me I have a lot of mysql queries. Anyways, I was trying to test if I can drop the load by turning the wsnlinks off from the admin panel and it didn't help even though noone could access it from the web. The load droped to 0% only when I chmoded wsnlinks folder to 000. I have never managed linux servers so I have no clue what to look into. Customer Support told me that they can not tell me exactly which pages or queries creating the load from the logs - I would have to look for some linux tools and figure it out on my own. I just don't understand, if those were mysql queries off the directory pages, then they should've died after I turned wsnlinks off from the admin pannel... but they didn't. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 24, 2006 - 10:39 AM:

I'm going through every single query and this one takes 1.62seconds to perform

Setting cookie with name returnto, value index.php?action=displaycat&catid=11 and duration 1156434846

I looked at your debug example and it's less then 0.01sec.
Paul
developer

Paul
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 25, 2006 - 5:35 AM:

I'm going through every single query and this one takes 1.62seconds to perform

That's not a query, it's stuff between queries. Anyhow all your queries are taking around 3-5 times longer than the same queries normally do, so you don't seem to have any particular bad query.

Maybe it's the connection. Is it a remote mysql server? Those are usually very slow.

Have you tested installing WSN Links in a place where no one could possibly know of it to be browsing it, disabling the one that could be known of, and then seeing if the pages still take 3+ seconds to load? If they do then it can't be anything but a slow mysql.

VPS is a lot cheaper than dedicated, by the way.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 25, 2006 - 8:16 AM:

It is actually VPS with MediaTemple, not phisical dedicated one (not sure how different that is since this is my first one and I haven't had much time to do research when my shared host pulled the plug).
MySQL server is local.

Do you mean just try lading a new WSNLinks and hooking it up to existing database and brows it on my own while the old version is off?
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 25, 2006 - 10:11 AM:

Per your suggestion, I installed empty WSNLinks into separate folder and turned the old one off. The empty main page loads as fast as 0.72-0.81. I tried probably a dozen of times and one time it took 1.34sec. I'll see if I can fill it in with some info for better testing experience.
gemini
Forum Regular

gemini
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 25, 2006 - 10:50 AM:

Paul, I just edited config.php to pull the data off the existing database and with the default templates there are only 38 queries on the category pages - they load anywhere from 3sec to 3.5sec and CPU load goes up tp 86% while page is loading and it goes back to 0% after it's loaded. Can it have anything to do with the new fields I added to the categories and links tables?
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.