Comments on Pirate software error on registered copy

SitePro
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 4
SitePro
Posted Jun 17, 2005 - 6:46 PM:

I have registered and installed WSN Gallery version 2.15 at http://www.max-peters.com/gallery/

This is a private family gallery where we can exchange photos of our immediate family with members of our extended family all over the world. This is also the test bed for at least 2 upcoming installations of WSN Gallery. 1 is all set to go and I am already running the free (basic) version of the script at http://www.photoshoppros.com/gallery/

Unfortunately, I am always getting the following error at http://www.max-peters.com/gallery/

[qoute]Warning: file_get_contents(scripts.webmastersite.net/w...at]symbioticdesign[dot]com): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /home/max/public_html/gallery/filefunctions.php on line 126[/quote]

I will get this error with each fresh visit. Upon reloading the page, the error goes away, but I think this is extremely unjust since the error seems to indicate that I am using pirated software. This does not reflect well on me as a web designer either to my clientele, my potentiual clientele, or even my own friends and family.

On top of this, the error is broacasting my email address (anytime I use this email address it is encoded). In the short time that this error has been showing, my spam email has increased at least three-fold.

I do know that I registered WSNGallery at PayPal through my business account. In this account there are a bunch of email addresses, and the email address that I used was one of them, but it was not the default account.

I contacted you about correcting this oversight so that I could login as a member with the same email address that I have registered WSNLinks with, as well. By using a single authorized email address, I won't have the utter confusion that I already have to deal with as far as passwords go and it would simply make my life easier.

Unfortunately, I believe that my registered copy of WSNGallery is having problem with your authentication process.

Is there anything that you can do to correct this problem?

I have a few more questions, but whether or not I will even try to solve them rests on getting the software functioning properly.

Thanks, I know that this is most likely simply a small problem, but it is becoming a large one for me and my plans for future projects (including future registrations of the WSN software).

Take Care! -Doug
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7868
Paul
Posted Jun 18, 2005 - 1:05 AM:

This error means that fopen url wrappers are off on your host so that it can't grab urls. But the error should only show up once every 3 days on average and no more than once a day, so it's odd that you see it regularly.

Anyhow, I've fixed that for WSN Gallery 2.16 which I'll upload in a few hours.

I think this is extremely unjust since the error seems to indicate that I am using pirated software

I don't see why you think it suggests that. WSN Gallery doesn't even do an actual check (only WSN Links does), it just grabs a URL which doesn't exist (which isn't a problem normally, your error isn't that the url doesn't exist, but rather that your PHP install doesn't have permission to look for it).

my spam email has increased at least three-fold

Considering it's obscured there, that seems a doubtful cause.
SitePro
Beginner

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 2
Total Comments: 4
SitePro
Posted Jun 18, 2005 - 11:05 PM:

Hi Paul...

Thanks! I'll grab the new version right away.

"I don't see why you think it suggests that."

Hmmm.... Maybe because I know that I didn't write it. I suppose others wouldn't know unless I put a "powered by WSNLinks" affiliate links there, or something. I guess when it comes to my rep, I sometimes get paranoid.

"Considering it's obscured there, that seems a doubtful cause."

I think spambots that harvest names know easy tricks like [at] and [dot] and convert them. I have no idea why, but the site has a pretty dang good Alexa traffic rank for a personal starter site. Anyway, it is yes, a threefold increase in spam to my address. Perhaps it is a different problem, and perhaps I am being paranoid again, but I loathe spam so much. It destroys productivity.

Thanks for the update! I'll go grab the archive! -Doug
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.